• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOS-HELP!!!!!!!Comp WONT BOOT TO SCREEN!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sir. BOBSONATOR

Ok i turned on the comp today and it booted up went to the windows thing and before i could log in it restarted. I tried a multiple amount of times and still nothing.

1. I think the problem is my harddrive its an old, cheap, 7200 rpm Maxtor i got in canada when i was motchipping my xbox. ( that owned i had like 40 games on there) When I came home to california i buillt my sexy rig... So after a couple of months i have disk error probs and stuff like that.

And Now i think its the worst of it.

Should I get a new harddrive or stick with my corrupted one and reinstall windows AGAIN!

ok i go the reapair option(press R from the bluescreen) and then it gives me this promp and i HAVE NO CLUE what to put in :bang head it says

Which Windows Installation would you like to log into?
and from thee i dont know what to put. PLEASE HELP ME!

I mean, at the recovery console where it asks you which Windows you want to log on to. There shouldn't be multiples but if there are, can you post what you see?

Which Windows Installation would you like to log into? <PRESS ENTER TO EXIT>_

(the _ is where you put in the one digit value) ive tried almost everyting ... does any body know?

It doesnt tell you something like "1. Windows XP Pro" ?

Hit 1 or 0 and see what happens.

You should try and find a diagnostic program for your drive and see if it is dying. I repaired a clients computer that did the same thing cause the drive was failing.

JT

JTanczos said:
It doesnt tell you something like "1. Windows XP Pro" ?

Hit 1 or 0 and see what happens.

You should try and find a diagnostic program for your drive and see if it is dying. I repaired a clients computer that did the same thing cause the drive was failing.

JT

Ok the 1 worked then it asked me for a password. sorry im with stupid today can someone help me out?

It seems from your sig that you are overclocked. That problem is consistent with overdoing the overclocking (or not having enough cooling). Try running at stock speed and see if that helps.

If you don't have the CD that came with the drive download powermax. This will give you the files to make a bootable cd. Read or print the instructions on the linked page., and then run the diagnostic from the cd. You probably corrupted the windows installation with the OC. Test the HD and see what it says. If you have nothing of great importance on that HD do a low level format and re install windows after the format.
Good Luck,
Killa

After you've chosen your Windows install, you have to input the password for the Administrator account on that PC. If you don't know what this is, try just pressing enter (no password).

Cap'n Pedro said:
After you've chosen your Windows install, you have to input the password for the Administrator account on that PC. If you don't know what this is, try just pressing enter (no password).

ill try that now .... Oh and its not overclocked at alll right now everything is default.

THANKS A BUCH MAN! i needed no pawwword and now chkdsk /p is running

i hope this works, if it doesnt i dunno what to do, maybe get a new harddrive

EDIT: i also thought it could be the boot thing so i went FIXBOOT and then restarted.

the thing loads and before The screen shows up it says Error Loading Operating System

Ok now ITS back to the restart problem when when it loads windows it restarts.

PLEASE HELP ME !

CHKDSK was fine what does that mean?

EDIT: im gonna try reinstalling windows and try to get some files on a disk then try to get a new HD.

Last edited:
Alright i tried reinstalling and it finished the blue-screen-stage and now it wants to restart and to to the part when it instalises windows. AND RESTART, the error happens again.

The possible Problems.
~Motherboard, the fan makes some funny noises lately, I was told it was like the best, an ASUS A8V-E Deluxe heres the one i got http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=15&l3=143&model=376&modelmenu=1
~Ram, nothing seems worng with it but it might somehow be a problem
~chipset? i dont think so either
~videocard? doesnt sound appealing to me
~Power supply, now that sounds appealing,

NOTE: Motherboard is at the top of my list

Kill_A._Byte said:
If you don't have the CD that came with the drive download powermax. This will give you the files to make a bootable cd. Read or print the instructions on the linked page., and then run the diagnostic from the cd. You probably corrupted the windows installation with the OC. Test the HD and see what it says. If you have nothing of great importance on that HD do a low level format and re install windows after the format.
Good Luck,
Killa
Do this. When you run the diagnostics, it should be able to tell you wether or not your HD is borked. Also, definatly try a low level format and then reinstalling windows.

JigPu

JigPu said:
Do this. When you run the diagnostics, it should be able to tell you wether or not your HD is borked. Also, definatly try a low level format and then reinstalling windows.

JigPu

not the problem

Back