• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Rebooting when USB Plugged In.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bert202

This is my girl friends computer, and sadly she lives a couple hours away. I won't get a good look at the problem till this weekend and want to get ideas before I head up there. Its a semi new machine, new case with older hardware. It reboots when the front USB is plugged in or unplugged. It doesn't always do it, seems random. The USB works fine other wise.

This is her case, from Xoxide.. The Xoxide X-Styler Case - Green

I'm thinking either a short in the front panel or miss pluged USB. Any other ideas?

those would be my first 2 checks. Also try different headers on the motherboard. If you have a spare set of USB connections that usually take up a pci slot, try that as well, to see if the front usb connectors are shorting out or faulty.

Couldn't hurt to have a manual handy for the USB header info, some cases have single pin plugs that need arranging in the correct sequence.
I'd vote though that it's a bad cable, cause you said it works. Maybe it's shorting to the wire shield (foil jacket around the inner wires). It might have dust/gunk in the plug-in too.

USB supplies 5 volts of power so a short would reboot the system with many PSU's.

Bringing a spare device cord couldn't hurt either (USBa to USBb)

Last edited:
Or a flaky USB device. Check that USB device(s) on a known good computer. If no problem happens, then it's likely the mobo or cable. If the problem do follow, replace that device in question.

Cool, sounds like some good stuff to try. I'll bring stuff with me and check it all out. Hopefully it will be something simple :santa: . I'll post back with what happens.

Isnt it possible that its a software problem? perhaps she has corrupt usb drivers installed. also what device is causing the crash? I have a sony digital camera and when u plug it into a usb2 port the pc gets a BSOD and turns off, on their website sony says their driver caused problems on USB2 but was fine on USB2 and I downlaoded an update driver

No, it's not a software problem, and it's not your device either. I had this problem in the past with my LAN PC (old main computer), and it was the front panel USB headers not plugged into the motherboard correctly, the ground wasn't connected or something.

I could plug it in, the comp would restart, and it'd see the device like any other USB device. But if I plugged it in while the computer was on, it'd puke on me.

Check the headers.

actually it really was a software problem for me becasue i wasnt on a custom rig i was on a Toshiba laptop :p

Back