• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what's the best antivirus?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Desperado84

i have Kaspersky personal pro installed, but when doing a check, it says i have some viruses (sp?) but can't delete them (the only option is "skip")
hardly a good idea
any thoughts?

I use ALL the free ones I can find.

Spybot
AVG
Hijackthis - really good.

Do a search in the forum for virus or antivirus & you'll find a bunch of ideas to use.

:attn:

For the longest time, I thought Sir Norton AV was king of the hill, and was putting my 59 bucks a year down. Then MaximumPC did a test and explained just how many rescources Sir Norton used, and that AVG was just as good, (and free). Been useing it every since.

I have read that HyJackthis is the best program there is at removing a virus, but if you are not comfortable messing with a text style list of registry looking links, don't use it, (which I don't).

Desperado84 said:
i have Kaspersky personal pro installed, but when doing a check, it says i have some viruses (sp?) but can't delete them (the only option is "skip")
hardly a good idea
any thoughts?

I mean, it's right here! Search?

overclockers.com/article1260/

And how about googling SPwhatever! Sheez!

I use Kaspersky personal as well, but I have never ran across anything it couldn't get rid of, maybe I haven't been unfortunate enough to get any hardcore virii... :shrug:

AVG free is nice, although very common. TrendMicro and Panda Scan are good too.
When fixing a couple "customers" machines Panda found malicious registry
entries the other two did not.

Just wanted to add that many newer trojans drop a load that specifically
target certain AV apps rendering them useless.

So in short, you should not rely on only one AV scanner.
And on a more personal note, I will never pay for an AV scanner again now
that I have seen how easily they can be circumvented.

Saw this first hand when my computer got infected last year even though
McAfee was updated. Registry entries that fooled McAfee into thinking it was
updating the scan database when in actuality is was only creating a loop back
to the "local machine" could be clearly seen.
Subsequently, the scanner didn't find any newer worms or trojans that came along.

Have seen this scenario in other machines running Norton and AVG as well.
To reiterate, one should not rely on only one AV scanner.

billb said:
Overclockers.com, click Reviews, click Utilities

Areya helpless?
Off-threadedness: Uh, hello, welcome to the forums :)

No antivirus/antispyware solution is perfect, you're going to want to reformat eventually anyway. That said, I have made heavy use of Norton (since I had it easily on hand).

It's got some genuinely good features and Symantec's been doing this since Days of Old, but it's a bigtime system resources hog.

I've had good luck with Avast both home and on friend's & relative's computers. It's available at Avast.com for FREE after you register.

The part that I especially like is how you can setup Avast to scan the computer whenever the screensaver is active, so the computer will manage to get a scan in every so often. Other part about that being good is that most people I know when a scheduled AV check pops up, they hit CANCEL or SKIP and never run them. At least with the screensaver AV check, its not interfering with them using the computer.

Also has a nice auto updater built in so no manually updating virus def's or program require.

As to norton, take an average computer, install Norton on it. Machine ends up dead slow, almost as if it had a virus or massive spyware infection. That and all the machines I've worked on for people that have norton security center were so rotted out by spyware and viruses I've had to format them! After the format I put avast on it, and MS anti spyware, and tell them why bother paying for Norton on it when it didn't work, might as well go with something free so at least you don't feel like you flushed money down the toilet.

Susquehannock made a good comment to, don't rely on one scanner. I'll run a trendmicro online scan every so often as well since I know its going to be an updated scanner since it was just downloaded.

Like Brutal and Capt said, there's no best one. I happen to use Norton Systemworks Proffesional, only because it comes with a few other utilities I use, like Ghost. But, it definately doesn't catch everything. Nor does AVG, Panda, PCcillin, etc... The Symantec products are VERY heavy on resources though, and I don't really recommend the regular anti-virus from them. The best would be a free one like AVG with regular online scans with Trend Micro's "housecall", and being very aware of where you go when you're on the internet, and with who's e-mails you choose to open.

I think I have reiterated this before, AVG for antivirus and S&D 1.4 plus AdAware SE for everything else.These three are all free and work better than most but not all. I had McAfee Pro and it just like Norton are system hogs that dont always catch everything even though they both had updates which seemed to be fresh every other day.

I use Nod32 now and can't fault it, low resource usage easy to configure.But the general opinion is right there is no best just what you feel happiest with

BigDan3131 said:
I think I have reiterated this before, AVG for antivirus and S&D 1.4 plus AdAware SE for everything else.These three are all free and work better than most but not all.

I agree BigDan3131, but add in Microsoft Antispyware, HiJackThis, and the 30 day trial version of WebRoots SpySweeper, then you are getting close to cleaning up a PC.

Back