• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what can you tell me about the rocket raid card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Do you have a link to the manufacturer's product info page so I can look it up (since I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about)? My guess would be that it was like most cheap RAID cards, mostly software RAID. All the work is done in the driver, using the cpu. In addition, support for OSes other than windows will be limited. Hardware RAID cards ususally don't have either of these problems (and cost hundreds of dollars).

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/raid/conf/ctrlHardware-c.html

Here are the only PCI Express SATA RAID cards I found on newegg:
A12547&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=1935%3A15356&PropertyCodeValue=0&description=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=410&Submit=Property

You might want to look for some reviews of them. It looks like they do hardware RAID 5, and have the capability for nice large onboard caches with DDR RAM.

Products -> SATA II -> RocketRAID 2220

[BIOS+Driver][Data Sheet][User Manual][Press Release]
[Compatibility lists (MB)][Compatibility lists (HD)][Mac]

larger
larger

The HighPoint RocketRAID 2220 is a high-performance
SATA II to PCI-X HBA. The RocketRAID 2220 supports key features with hot-swap and hot-spare that are critical to ensuring business continuity.
The HighPoint RocketRAID 2220 Controller is a 8-port native Serial ATA II RAID controller that combines the high-performance storage connectivity of Serial ATA with HighPoint’s advanced RAID features, including, Online Capacity Expansion, RAID Level Migration and HighPoint's RAID Management software.

Supporting RAID levels 0, 1, 5, 10, and JBOD, plus disk hot plug, hot swap and HighPoint’s RAID features, the RocketRAID 2220

is an ideal solution for applications where high levels of sustained read and write performance are required, including video streaming, web content, reference data and fixed content storage.

The RocketRAID 2220 supports advanced RAID levels 0, 1, 5, 10 and JBOD. The RocketRAID 2220 stable RAID 5 capability together with HotSwap and HotSpare drives assures round-theclock fault tolerance for your business critical data for your webserver, email server, database and storage servers. Storage is proactively monitored for failures and detected for failures.

HighPoint's intuitive browser based and graphical RAID utilities simplifies your RAID storage management. Storage can be configured and monitored remotely from a single workstation providing convenience and flexibility ensuring 24x7 data accessibility.

HighPoint offers the broadest range of support for all major operating systems to ensure OS and hardware server compatibility. Drivers are available for all major operating systems, including Windows, Linux., FreeBSD and Mac OS X.

Specification
8 channels PCI-X to SATA II host adapter
PCI-X 64 bit 133/100/66 MHz
Up to 3.0Gb/s transfer rate
RAID 0, 1, 5, 10 and JBOD
Native Command Queuing(NCQ)
Staggered Drive Spin up
Single RAID Cross Adapter up to 16HDDs
Online Capacity Expansion and Online RAID Level Migration (OCE/ORLM)
Hot Swap and Hot Spare
S.M.A.R.T monitoring hard disk for status reliability
SAF-TE enclosure management
Online Array Roaming
Quick and background initialization for quick RAID configuration
64-bit LBA for over 2TB partition support
BIOS booting support
Automatic RAID rebuild
Command Line Interface(CLI)
Web browser RAID management software
SMTP email notification
Supports Windows, Linux , FreeBSD and Mac OS X Tiger (10.4, 10.4.1 and 10.4.2)

At newegg.com for $255.00

It looks like those are PCI Express X8. I think you could use them in a PCI Express X16 (if you can configure it to use only 8 lanes), but I'm not 100% certain (it's been a while since I looked at the spec).

You can run any PCIe device in a slot that has more lanes then it does.

In fact almost all PCIe devices will even run in slots with less lanes. Sometimes you are lucky and have a 16x physical connector with 8x or 4x electrical connectors (like with nV SLI or intel i925 boards). Sometimes you're not, but you can always cut a notch in the end of a smaller slot (obviously at your own risk) to get a larger card in.

Sometimes you are really lucky and your board has open ended PCIe slots like the 4x connector on this MSI board:
msik8n7jd.jpg

Back