• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What does CAS 2 and CAS 3 mean???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-=HN=- Wild9

ok yah know its been bothering me for awhile now not knowing what the importance of setting your RAM to CAS 2 or CAS 3 is. and i just figured ill ask b/c the stupid questions are the ones that arnt asked, so here is goes.

what is the importance of CAS 2 and CAS 3 for RAM and what does it mean/do ect. ? i would like to be enlightened :)

CAS 2 is faster than CAS3, but CAS3 will let you run at higher FSB. Im not really sure what CAS is technical, iv been told, but i must not have paid very good attention. Somebody correct me if im wrong,but its the wait time between getting an instruction and exectuting it, correct.

CAS (Column Address Strobe) - A memory chip signal that latches the column address of a particular location in a row-column matrix.
CAS Latency:
The ratio between column access time and clock cycle time.
CAS Latency 2 (CL2) offers a slight performance increase over CAS Latency 3 (CL3).

The term CAS latency refers to the number of clock cycles it takes before a column can be addressed on the DRAM chip.
Latency is a measure of delay, so a "CL2" CAS latency factor indicates a two-clock cycle delay, and a "CL3" latency factor indicates a three-clock cycle delay.

Back