• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP Pro activation limit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CFster

Registered
Ok, I know this has be hashed and rehashed, but I'm wondering why XP made me call the number to get the code after I had done a bunch of installations on an UNCHANGED MACHINE. The only thing changed was drivers (and BIOS versions - will that do it?).

Also, now that I've called and got the new code, how many times until I have to do that again? Do I have to do it every time now?

Well hey WELCOME

Hard to say, most likely not.

My guess would be that all those auths on your ser number set up a blip and they just flagged you for a phone auth to see what was going on. So you should be OK or you can only hope they will just get the point after a few calls. Good luck.

:welcome:

I ran into the same thing last time I installed XP. I havent installed since so I cant help you there. Just make sure you tell them your copy is only on one system and you'll be OK.

Yes, there is a limit. Though I actually forget how many I think its like 5 or 6, somewhere around there. Also yes you will have to call in everytime from now on. Or atleast that has been the trend I have seen with people(including me). Shouldn't pose much of a problem though, just say their OS screwed up and you had to do a reinstall because of it.

tenchi86 said:
Yes, there is a limit. Though I actually forget how many I think its like 5 or 6, somewhere around there. Also yes you will have to call in everytime from now on. Or atleast that has been the trend I have seen with people(including me). Shouldn't pose much of a problem though, just say their OS screwed up and you had to do a reinstall because of it.

Actually, I believe when you call, your Activation is "Reset", and you will NOT have to call again for a long time, or at least until you make a major hardware change. I have done this in 3 different PC's, and after calling once (for each PC as needed), I was able to activate multiple times online w/o issues...

Also, if you don't change anything or re-install for around 3 months, I think this also "resets" the Activation requirements. I built my parents a new PC, and I used the XP-Pro CD-Key (bought legitemately from Newegg) that I had on the old Dell (no changes or re-installs for about 6 months), and it activated just fine on the new PC (the new PC has the CD drive from the Dell, so I consider it the "Same PC" legally speaking :) ).

It is really easy to call and activate, but I had issues trying to get through last week. I called 3-4 times, and the Automated system seemed like it was freaking out, and then I was on hold for over an hour (on speakerphone). I hung up, and called back an hour later - and I got right through.

:cool:

Back