• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Micro$oft Access

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

Ok I made a post in the other thread but it must be supper low traffic. So I've been trying to teach myself Access for about 5hrs. Just me no tutor or anything trying to help someone do a project because she has 3 test this week and two on the day it's do and is just flipping out. Now I just graduate and I'm a pilot. I don't have anything to do while waiting for my job so I said, "sure what the hell I'll see if there is anything I can do", turns out there isn't. This thing could take someone that knows what the hell they are doing less than 20min. So if anyone here is a guru at it and doesn't mind just breezing through it I'd appreciate it. M$ help files suck balls. Thank you if you can help me/my cousin out.
Duck

Most people just ignore posts by people wanting their homework done for them. The most you can hope for is posting code from your best effort and someone may respond with suggestions as to how to make it work or improve it. The problem with an Access project is that it is not easy for someone to present here in a a meaningful manner.

I took a computer class where for a group project we decided to use Access. I started out knowing nothing about Access but ended up writing practically all of the code myself. I took the time to learn programming Access where other team members did not. They like you wanted to help with the programming part but only got in the way since taking the time to explain things would take too much time away from me. It took me several weeks to get up to speed with programming Access.

I am only assuming some kind of Access application is required. If you understand basic database concepts and know Visual Basic then you might have a chance at writing some kind of application with Access. Then you would still need a least a week to do something useful.

Helping someone by review completed work and commenting on it is what you should be limiting your assistance to. In the end asking someone to do your friends homework is morally wrong for you to ask and for your friend to expect. Besides most teachers will at minimum give a 0 for an assigment if they thought it was not completed by the student. If it was a major part of a student's classwork then it might even lead to student failing the course.

I'm not trying to skimp on homework I graduated college back in august. I'm trying to help someone out because this thing is just rediculous. The help files I go through aren't very helpful. However I do have a question that would make things a lot easier. I'm importing in an excel spreadsheet into access. I start by creating the database then i right click and select "import". It brings up one for each page so I load all 8 of the seperate. I need to make it so that I can cross reference between the pages. I don't know how to make access allow me to search something using the multiple databases.

On another note I totally dissagre with what you're saying. As stated I graduated with a degree in Aviation Sciences where I took many engineering, physics, and calculus classes. I also took classes like meteorology I/II/III, aircraft performance, systems, turbines, propulsion, as well as other aviation related classes. I was then forced to take classes like C++ where I had never used anything related to programing in my life. I had people that were good at it do it with me or sometimes "for" me when I couldn't get it done. I now fly aircraft. I've succeeded at doing what I went to college for and have yet to use anything from any of the classes I considered BS for me to be taking.

I found absolutely nothing morally wrong with it. I'm the one that spent over $100k working my butt off to get through there. Trying to study for my private/instrument/commercial/commercial-multi/CFI/ and CFII ratings (which required more than a lot of my school did) and yet have to write an 18 page paper on something from british lit is the dumbest thing I have ever seen from an educational institution. With my work load and non-stop stress I would not have been able to make it were it not for help. I don't need any lessons on morals at all. Someone who I care about is in a very tough situation, one which I have been in in the past, and if there is anything I can do to help her out I will. I remember how much I was thanking God when someone stepped in for me and I'll turn around and do the same when I can. Same thing your mother did time and time again when you couldn't get your work done and somehow she stepped in on your behalf. I'm just trying to help someone out. I'll never feel morally wrong for doing that. Regardless if I fail.

I am taking this class now but I haven't done any importing of excel yet. I would save each SS as a table (edit them in design view), then build a relationship to each in the relationship window. That’s my best guess for getting them to work together.

ToiletDuck said:
I remember how much I was thanking God when someone stepped in for me and I'll turn around and do the same when I can.
Never thank God when you cheat and get away with it.
ToiletDuck said:
Same thing your mother did time and time again when you couldn't get your work done and somehow she stepped in on your behalf. I'm just trying to help someone out. I'll never feel morally wrong for doing that. Regardless if I fail.
I NEVER had help doing homework for any class up through graduate school. I never wanted or expected it. I have taken a few classes that I thought were worthless and done poorly in them. I probably would have done better if I had some "help". At least I can say I earned every grade I got.

I just do not understand anyone saying that they earned the right to cheat. I also have no pitty on someone who wants me to feel sorry for them and do their homework. I have made a few people mad at me (even my children) when I would not do their homework even though I always was ready to provide any help they needed. Doing the right thing is not always the most popular thing to do. I always tried to make people understand that they should only recieve what they earn. If part of learning is to fail when they have not done their best then so be it. If doing one's best is still not enough then one has to accept that and move one.

wow, .... did i just log into moralityforums.com? i hear what your saying Ed, but what do your opinions on academic achievement have to do with "how do i use Access", or for that matter computers? if you got a point to make we have GD for that. sorrry, dont mean to get on you . its just i see this so much around here lately. i wish people could just read the questions and help if they can, either by a direct answer or brainstorming. not waxing philoshpical on the morality and life values.

The_Jizzler said:
wow, .... did i just log into moralityforums.com? i hear what your saying Ed, but what do your opinions on academic achievement have to do with "how do i use Access", or for that matter computers? if you got a point to make we have GD for that. sorrry, dont mean to get on you . its just i see this so much around here lately. i wish people could just read the questions and help if they can, either by a direct answer or brainstorming. not waxing philoshpical on the morality and life values.
I agree that I may have gone overboard but you have to read the whole thread to see my point. ToiletDuck double posted because nobody responded to the first thread he made. I also agree I was blunt in explaining why this was. He tried to do his cousin's homework but was unable to do so because of lack of time to learn Access. Now he wants some expert here to do it for him. If it was his cousin posting here and he was at least attempting to do the work then I would have some sympathy and provided all the help I could.

BTW, over the last few years I have browsed enough other forums to see that posting "Please do my homework" requests are never met with generous requests to help. Ether they are ignored or they are jumped on with requests to the poster to at least post their best attempt. The original poster usually gets the message and goes away. This shows they had no intention on do any of their own work. The simply wanted someone to do their homework.

I have sometimes answered some of these requests by not answering the question directly but by giving an example that provided enough information for the poster to complete the homework themselves. I figure if that is not enough then they are beyond my help anways.

OK, I thought this was a learning Forum? As with most computer software having someone shows you how to use it is the simpler way to learn it, not a wrong way. What do you think the instructor gets paid to do? As for cheating, asking for help from someone you know or don't know doesn’t fall into cheating in my book. Nor will it mater on test day; you either know the material or not, and that’s how your graded.

Stedeman said:
OK, I thought this was a learning Forum? As with most computer software having someone shows you how to use it is the simpler way to learn it, not a wrong way. What do you think the instructor gets paid to do? As for cheating, asking for help from someone you know or don't know doesn’t fall into cheating in my book. Nor will it mater on test day; you either know the material or not, and that’s how your graded.
You are right to a point. I always thought that "help" meant to provide guidance and feedback to someone. Do most people really think that wanting "help" means that someone expects that the "helper" to do all the work. If that is true then maybe the student should just go to his instructor and have him "help" him. That way at least the work is done right.

I am really drepressed thinking about all the fun I missed out in college by doing my own homework. I could have just gotten a "helper" to do my homework for me. That would have left me with a lot more time to party. Boy was I naive.

She's going to have a rude awakining when she gets into the real world. If you're in IT and you can't handle stress you die young.

The guides helped. I managed to figure it out. Only took 8hrs. I also was doing it for myself because it was the first program I have tried to use that I just couldn't figure out on my own lol. Secondly you'd be correct about your statement if she was, but she's not she'll never use it. Like me taking C++ when I fly airplanes.

IMHO there are things in life worth spending time on, and things worth blowing off. So moral Ed I'm glad you never had any help ever. Live a full life knowing that. In the more modern day University where the levels and technicality of education have increased 10 fold things are hard for students who have inhumane teachers. Teachers that feel their class is the only one. I went 7 years without ever taking a break. Went to school year round to get into a very good private university and graduate on time. The one thing I've learned fresh of the blocks is that half of it is complete BS and with the diversity of classes you take it makes it hard to excel in any one of them. I don't know anyone now days from my sister and bro-in-law who are both high up people in IBM now to all my friends who are costal/aero/civic/structual engineers, lawyers, accountants, you name it who didn't take the easy road on something they felt was bs for them to be wasting their time on anyway. So call me morally inferior, or accept it as reality. Eitherway it is how things are lol. I was stuck in Austin airport not too long ago. The guy next to me actually designed the F-15's wings. He failed english twice and cheated to pass on the third. Do I look at him as any less of a man? Hell no, he designed the wings of the F-15 Eagle lol. Btw I hope you don't vote. If you do you've voted for someone that found an easy way at least once. It's part of the system, part of the game. Networking, socializing, improvising, and thinking on your toes are some of the valuable assets you learn at college besides just what's in a book, or else everyone would just do it on-line lol.

I am sorry if I offended you. It must be a generaton thing. I just didn't understand the "Me Generation" until now.

GENTLEMEN! (and ladies if any are present.) Lay off the acid beakers, it's just a scrum, folks! No need for a full out-and-out altercation.

ToiletDuck said:
In the more modern day University where the levels and technicality of education have increased 10 fold things are hard for students who have inhumane teachers. Teachers that feel their class is the only one. I went 7 years without ever taking a break. Went to school year round to get into a very good private university and graduate on time. The one thing I've learned fresh of the blocks is that half of it is complete BS and with the diversity of classes you take it makes it hard to excel in any one of them.
I have a class where you're expected to spend 10 hours (!) outside of class studying it. It's a three-unit class. It's not inhumane per se. It is simply made as hard as is possible and on purpose! College is supposed to be difficult; all things worth doing in life ARE difficult.

College is supposed to make you into the best you can be in your field, and also to broaden your horizons. Thus, general ed. :)

Where'd you get your Aviation Sciences degree, out of curiosity?
ToiletDuck said:
He failed english twice and cheated to pass on the third.
"We shall never cheat, lie, or steal, or tolerate among us any who does." - Armed Forces Officer's Honor Code. The mere mention that one should not vote is beneath contempt and offensive, so I won't respond in detail to it.

MisterEd said:
You are right to a point. I always thought that "help" meant to provide guidance and feedback to someone. Do most people really think that wanting "help" means that someone expects that the "helper" to do all the work. If that is true then maybe the student should just go to his instructor and have him "help" him. That way at least the work is done right.
Indeed.

Programming, of any sort, consists of two steps:
1) You must learn the language. The language is a set of rules in which you may express yourself. And that's all there is to it. You must repeat this step every time you learn a new language or switch operating systems, hardware platforms, etc.

2) You must learn algorithm design. This is the hard part and is fairly universal to all languages.

That said, we can point you to sources that can help you learn the languages. It's far harder to impart algorithm design (which is by definition mostly gained through experience). I've been programming since I could reach the keyboard. (God, I'm a _geek_) I'm definitely willing to help others join the cadre of computer scientists/IT people/programmers, but in order to join the cadre, you MUST take algorithm design upon yourself. Information technology is a *tough* field--everyone wants something, and they want it right now. Believe me. I did IT for a while.

That said...
MS Access Programming resource

Reccommended: books on the topic. B&N, Borders, or if you happen to live near them, Powell's are great sources for technical books.

im learning access right now in college..in my office 2003 class
we just go through this book that M$ publishes..have everything in it!

I am in the IT world. I am not a programmer and I had to take a C++ class. Granted I never need it but if I am paying close to $30K (all told the bill will be around $130k after the 5 years which isn't even including my books) a year on school, I am going to get all I can out of it. Seems to me that your $100k was some really well spent money. Why even bother? I am with MisterEd on this one the whole way. Glad to see the links people provided were of help and you were able to figure it out but you should hae just passed that info onto your cousin. Are you going to be there on test day?

ToiletDuck said:
I don't know how to make access allow me to search something using the multiple databases.

They are called tables.

To search, you use the select command.

To find somthing in table X named 'Jen' the command would be along the lines of.

Select 'named' from 'X' where 'named' equals 'jen' (I know the syntax is wrong, but I don't have a DB open infront of me)

am in the IT world. I am not a programmer and I had to take a C++ class. Granted I never need it but if I am paying close to $30K (all told the bill will be around $130k after the 5 years which isn't even including my books) a year on school, I am going to get all I can out of it. Seems to me that your $100k was some really well spent money. Why even bother?

Because it's the only university in my state that has this degree. It is a private university that isn't the easiest in the world. My 100k was spent very well because I am an expert in my field and that was the importance of it. Just because someone holds a pilots license doesn't make them an aviator. I had to quit my job in March, give up everything I did, and study on average 6hrs a day. Did that for 3 months to past one of my test. I have yet to fail any test reqarding what I do. The last one I took had over an 80% fail rate. Aced it. I spend my time on what matters. I don't read magazines, I don't read literature from different time periods, I don't study the history of the world. Everyday I read about aviation. I read the Federal Regulations and study. Just like being a doctor you could spend 20yrs of your life in the field and still not have learned half of it. I'm a commercial pilot who loves what he does and devotes everything to it. So maybe next time you get your @SS in a plane you pray someone up front is as dedicated as I. And you think I'm crap because I had someone write a C++ program for me in college? What kind of hippie village do you live in? What is your job?

Maybe if all I did was build computers and such then yea, I would have had a lot more time to spend on actual schooling. But for every hour I spent studying for a class in college I spent three times the amount studying outside. Gave up three relationships because, "I didn't focus on her". So don't preach to me. I wasn't some "business major" that had to try everything because he didn't know what the hell he wanted to do in life. There were 88 people in my aviation class and only 6 have graduated so I'm a little proud of myself. I find most jobs in the IT world aren't very hard. Not saying they aren't important. I worked for ABC news and Dell computers while in college. Anything related to any of those companies could be tought on sight, unlike being a doctor, lawyer, in my case a pilot, ect. There are very few jobs in the IT market where you can't be shown how to do it in a 6 month internship.

Where exactly did you go to school?

Last edited:
Back