• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question about cleaning a copper water block

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aidenswarrior

is generic copper cleaner ok to use when cleaning the contact part of a copper block? should i just give it a wipe down with alcohol afterwards? cause it is starting to turn colors and it looks unpleasent.

soak it in vinegar, don't use tarnish remover or anything - that will leave a coating on the block

but vinegar, wash down with HOT water (what you cant dry off will evaporate quickly 'cause its hot), then clean off the base with some alcohol :thup:

Sneaky said:
soak it in vinegar, don't use tarnish remover or anything - that will leave a coating on the block

but vinegar, wash down with HOT water (what you cant dry off will evaporate quickly 'cause its hot), then clean off the base with some alcohol :thup:

bah i tried vinegar and it didnt do anything, that is why i was thinking tarnish remover with alcohol afterwards.

Add a teaspoon full of table salt to the vinegar and it'll work faster, 1/2 to 1 hour usually. Ketchup works too for those that don't want to add the salt to the vinegar (cause both are already in there).

Then the hot water and an alcohol swab :thup:

Fighter2a said:
You tried soaking it in salt and vinegar? Works really good for me.

yeah, more stuff showed up on the bottom, and now because it was sitting on a paper towel for like a minute, there are imprints of paper towel on the bottom of the thing.

btw GO GO 500th post for me yahahahahha woohoo. :clap: been good times so far. hope they continue

Ah, paper towels are full of chlorine to make them nice and white.
And laying it on the towel traps this contaminated moisture against the nice clean surface helping to speed retarnishing.

Have you tried the ketchup too? Never had that leave anything behind, and it works very fast with little need to set it down even. If you do, set the block on it's side so it's not picking up whatever else may be on that counter/sink.

Dry it off before setting it down. I use a coffee filter as a lint free towel, one of those unbleached natural color ones. And set the block on it's side, not it's bottom.

If it's still a problem, you can use an old scotchbright pad very lightly to remove any spots without changing the flatness of your block, and it won't leave any residues or chemicals on the copper. Polishes usually leave a residue that prevents retarnishing too quickly, and popular belief has it that it may hinder heat transfer. Never actually seen it tested by Joe or pHaestus, but I'll bet it's less of a difference than can be measured by the diode.

Nice milestone, dude. That an extra star?

The best cleaner for ANYTHING copper is just plain lemon juice concentrate. It works even better in an ultrasonic cleaner.

However, once the vinegar is used first, the copper may of taken a stain. Regular vinegar (apple based) is a no-no for copper. White "Distilled" Vinegar (corn based) works wonders to clean out the entire cooling loop of components for flushing. :)

Just use anything acidic/basic e.g. lemon, vinegar. Leave the block in such a liquid over night then add salt to remove all the water the small animals living in you rblock and then wash with hot water. Leave to dry and finally end it with some alcohol.

Dont use a mixture of acids and bases as they will just neutralize themselfs.

i used white distilled vinegar and it didnt do anything ><. bah i am just gonna go out and get some tarnish remover. I wish my camera was charged so i could show you pics ><

I used a bristle wheel on my dremel, it cleaned off most of the black tarnish. Then soak it in 99% industrial alcohol over night, by next morning it was all shiny again :p It's like polishing it again.

-Thrilla- said:
I used a bristle wheel on my dremel, it cleaned off most of the black tarnish. Then soak it in 99% industrial alcohol over night, by next morning it was all shiny again :p It's like polishing it again.
please don't tell me you did this to the base of your water block... :eh?:

Back