• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

uv dye bad for performance?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kyozoku

Registered
I just got a storm waterblock and the manual says not to use it with uv dye. It looks like alot of people use dye so what's the story?

You're right that's what it says. So can I find uv dye without particulates?

I have some Cool-cases-USA.com Coolant that has been sitting undisturbed for over a year in the jug with absolutely no settling going on and has been ib two loops as long one with a microchannel German block and one with Danger Den and Polarflo combo All Lookin good.

[O-CuK]Marci said:
All powder based dyes. All dyes start life as powder, and return to powder over time. NO dyes are safe for use in Storm block imo.

That happening isn't easy necessarily. Some coloring agents can not fall out of solution unless you cause them to go into another chemical reaction. Copper Chloride for example will always stay that lovely blue and will not turn into powder unless you swing the equilibrium back to the left & create Copper metal & something like Calcium Chloride or Sodium Chloride or Chlorine Gas with some sort of enzyme. (please, no one use that chemical unless you never plan to flush your system down the sink or in any other way than a chemical dump, Copper Chloride is a potent poison for just about everything).

Most of the chemical dyes in Antifreeze & additives like Hydrex should follow suit. The problem with those however is glycol build up which I've seen on a few storms when people have used way too much additive (like a 15-30% mixture).

So it wont cause any physical damage to my storm just clogging? If so would it be safe to use dye if I clean out my blocks now and then?

That yellow dye from cool cases looks really bright!

I just used a highlighter marker and squeezed some dye into the water. It's been going strong for a good 6 months now with no problems.

Back