• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to water cooling.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oper8or

I've cooled all of my past comps with air. Zalman has always ruled my cases from top to bottom. I've read the water testing posts. I've read post of what to do and what not to do. Habit: reading to much and making my mind explore to many things that could not, should not, and cant happen.
The system I am building isnt top of the line but it will work for my gaming needs. It is as follows:
Amd 3200+
A8N SLI deluxe
2X Corsair 512 (3200ddr)
2X eVGA 6600 gt 128
80g WD 7200 sata
Onboard sound.. for now

This is the question I have. Since I'm new to water cooling I thought it would be good if I started out simple. I would like to know what you think of this and if anyone has used this cooling system.
http://www.kingwin.com/pdut_detail.asp?LineID=&CateID=53&ID=249
I know it only comes with one water block for the vga so I will need to get another one for the second card. I just cant seem to find one from kingwin. Can one from another company be used like the one from DangerDen, Zalman, or Thermaltake? This brings me to the second question. Does the 6600 gt have the same mounting points for the coolers as the 6800 series? If not then I am screwed. Because I cant honestly find anything specifically for the 6600gt as far as water cooling. If someone here knows of something I can use, if this system wont work, then please link something form the forums that I missed, or just post for me and other new people to water cooling. Its much appreciated and very well needed for me, as simple as I am.
Thank you in advance.
Oper8or

P.S. Mav, if your still here.. drop me a line. I'd like to play some games with you again man.

Ok. Then DIY it is. I looked in the stickies and found a listing of pumps. I'll start searching for water blocks and such. The radiator I'm not worried about. I can get one of those pretty easy. If you've got any links or suggestions on what to use and what NOT to use. Please post.
Other then that I still need to know if the 6600 and the 6800 have the same mounting. Not much more to know then that. The rest is just research, trial and error. Thanks

Well you gotta plan on how and where everything will be mounted. Do you have room for a larger heatercore? Or do you need something smaller like a BIX? Are you going to use a resovior? where is your pump being mounted?

As of 1 minute ago.. I looked at my case.. its a full atx so I have room to mount the radiator at the rear with a fan out of the way. From what I am reading a resovior is a waste of space for the most part. So a T would be more effective for me. I can mount the pump up front under the hd's.

whats your budget? regardless i recommend the D5 pump from danger den or the mcp655, they are both the same pump.

Well, I dont want to go real expensive because of possibly upgrading later on. If I did all new brackets and things would be needed due to vid cards. But right now.. I'll say 150-200. To me that is like pulling teeth. Sorry. I'm REAL stingy with my money. Father of 4 so things are tight. I'm looking at the Danger Den site and they seem to have some real good quality blocks. I considered Zalman but thier vga blocks stand off to much to allow the use of the pci slot beneath it. DangerDen has some low profile vga blocks that look nice and the price isnt to high. I dont like thier cpu block though.
Another thing. I know it needs to flow good. But I dont do massive oc'ing. So would 3/8 line work for me or do most blocks come 1/2?

If you are on a budget, I suggest looking in the classifieds for some used stuff to get you started. You can save quite a bit by going used. Although $200 is still a pretty good budget for new. 3/8 will be fine, or 7/16 over 1/2" fittings is becoming popular now.

people i know stick to 1/2" fittings but use 7/16" tubing. well, danger den does have a deal on the D5 pump and TDX waterblock for 108. D5 pump is the best pump for the money and the TDX is a decently performing block.

Ok, I have to admit the help here is great. Cheers to you all. I've gone with the DD cpu block. The Thermaletake radiator (cut in budget due to other things bought /cry), Thermaltake pump (for now, wont be in there long this thing doesnt push to much pressure), Thermaltake water res. From reading on the forums I'll be using 25% antifreeze/ 75% distilled water. Some of the parts are stainless so I will keep a CLOSE eye on it. I'll be getting the pump from DD within the next week. I just wanted to get it up and running. :bang head

Last edited:
Well as an update I now have a new Apogee wb and ordered the ddcr2 18w pump. Soon I'll have my rad and get my tubing. Then I'm ordering new fans. Its still in the works just give me time. Tight budget so I can only move so fast.

Back