• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIX 2- how to keep it silent

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stratus_ss

Overclockix Snake Charming Senior, Alt OS Content
what are the best parts for silent water cooling?

ok guys I am looking for suggestions on how to keep my WC setup as quite as possible
its not all assembled yet but I would still like to hear opinions

so

Placement- where in or out of the case should this go... does this make a difference?

fans... which ones are the best for staying silent?

anything else I need to know?

Last edited:
specs for the intended system

820D
P5WD2-P
2 gigs (2 X 1 gig) ddr2 533
1 X 74 gig raptor
1 X LG DVD-RW
1 eVGA 256 meg 6600gt (maybe getting a 7800 sooner or later)
450 watt psu

Well, you got a BIX there which is quite think meaning it needs higher pressure fans so only option to keep it silent would be to sandwich it with fans.
Placement doesn't matter as far as I know.

Yeah silent is probably out of the question. You may be able to get away with a pair of yate loon's, they should have just enough to get through and are pretty quiet at ~26db.

so then for what I want to cool what would be the most silent operation

on a related note what would everyone recommend for silent water cooling for the above system?
right now I only physically have a
Maze 4 GPU Acetal
MCW6000-775

so I am open to suggestions

I was thinking about the swiftech mcp350

Stratus_ss said:
on a related note what would everyone recommend for silent water cooling for the above system?
right now I only physically have a
Maze 4 GPU Acetal
MCW6000-775

so I am open to suggestions

I was thinking about the swiftech mcp350
Check out the recommended WC parts for recommendation on pumps.

<---n00b
thanks i totally missed the sticky i went right to the search function

Stratus_ss said:
<---n00b
thanks i totally missed the sticky i went right to the search function
At least you tried the search option, people usually don't even try and post questions answered a million times, but we are so polite we answer them anyway.

The MCP350's a good pump but I'd recommend the Aquaextreme 50z over it. I have the MCP600 (same as the 50z) and sometimes I don't even know my computer's on when I wake up... it's that quiet. Also, it pushes more water than the MCP350.

the problem for me is availability here in canada. Until I eventually get access to the bst forums here I am limited to retail stores... most of which only carry swiftech stuff (see my other thread asking for canadian websites :) I dont know that many)

I run my Black Ice Extreme 2 and keep it silent, it's a great radiator. I'd recommend getting the Waterchill Extreme pump, you can plug your radiator fans in, and control the speed from windows! Nothing like dragging a slider bar until your system is quiet...the pump is substantially more than most, but it gives good flow, and lets you monitor all sorts of stuff from Windows. Review and Asetek's site.

fuzzba11 said:
I run my Black Ice Extreme 2 and keep it silent, it's a great radiator. I'd recommend getting the Waterchill Extreme pump, you can plug your radiator fans in, and control the speed from windows! Nothing like dragging a slider bar until your system is quiet...the pump is substantially more than most, but it gives good flow, and lets you monitor all sorts of stuff from Windows. Review and Asetek's site.

Who makes their pump? Do you know if anyone has done a head to head review with this Waterchill 12v pump vs. a DD D5? Do you have the LED module as well?

On their forums they these issues with their pumps: http://forum.vapochill.com/showthread.php?t=10303&highlight=12v+Xtreme

Last edited:
I think it's a Hydor pump. I didn't get the LED module, but I had a DD D4 prior to this pump. The D4 is a little more powerful than the waterchill extreme, and uses 1/2" tubing so some might prefer it. I didn't notice any difference in CPU temperatures after changing from the D4 to the WCE, despite moving to 3/8" tubes. I've also added a 1/4" RAM block after the GPU and the pump delivers good flow.

Pic of the pump in my system

it has around 2m head. Cooling-masters reviewed it along with many other pumps last year.

Id steer clear, if your motherboard is decent you can control your fans using speedfan, anyway - unless you really, really like the sliders

Back