• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unlocking Itunes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pestoballs

I recently saved all of my friends music to 2 discs and reformatted his computer, and when i put the music back on the computer, it was in the protected itunes format so nothing plays at all. I think its M4p ( protected ) , Is there anyway i can get these files to regular mp3 or at least unlock them for itunes.

Well its a little too late for that, the kid has been using itunes and buying the music. It cannot play at all in any player.

At the very least, you will need ITunes. You can get a codec for winamp, but it still needs ITunes.

To unlock them, you will need to have him login to ITunes with his original login info.

yeah, they just need to be authorized. it should ask when itunes tries to play them.

Beginner said:
guys, is there an alternative program besides itunes to use for an ipod.

there is but you can't use itunes locked files with it.

anapod explorer comes to mind..

check www.ilounge.com

they have reviews of pretty much everything ipod, including software.

yeah theres a bunch. theres a foobar plugin, a winamp plugin, mediamonkey, etc. theres a whole section on the ilounge forum devoted to third party programs. i think anapod has lost support and still costs something (i could be thinking of the wrong program, though). all the ones i mentioned are free.

http://forums.ilounge.com/forumdisplay.php?&forumid=16

you could also dabble with rockbox or ipod linux, both of which make the ipod drag and drop (no software required) and use filetree browsing (which may or may not be something you want).

your best bet is when he buys music burn them to a music cd then rip them back to the pc using media player therefore they arnt protected for whenever you want to use on a different pc or format it....

Back