• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Transporting WC system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trios

Hey all, I just recently got into watercooling, and have my rig entirely set up (Storm, MCP655, BIP220). However, I'm going to have to move it from Portland, OR to Bangor, WA (from home to my base) and I just want to know if I'll need to drain the system first, or if it should be OK to travel.

I'll be able to leave it upright the whole way and it will have no chance of tipping (back seat on floor, between rear seat and passenger seat), and I have steel worm-drive hose clamps on all connections. It's been running for 3 days without power to anything but the pump and no leaks...

What's the verdict?

Keep your system in an upright and locked position and you should be fine. I move my case 200 miles four times a year without draining.

as long as you've done leak testing theres no need to drain it unless it was being moved in a flat position, possibly letting the res leak

personally i would drain it, because it doesnt take that long and could save you alot of money in leaks, but if it is 100% leak proof then like they said why not

If you have to worry about leaks from transferring it somewhere I think that you should do more clamping or leakproofing. If you are using a res make sure everything is teflon taped etc and oring'd. Just make sure it stays in an upright position or however you meant it to sit in your room and don't be a bat out of hell driving and you will be fine.

Good luck!
Richard

Back