• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new DDC Revision out - 18w pump

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
outhouse said:
i cant hear mine at all and the new revision doesnt have the start up isuues of the previous model

You have the revision 2 outhouse?

I had a 50z which is a good pump, but just installed a D5 to quiet it down further. But the D5 at number 5 is still kind of loud to me and I am wondering if a modded ddc would be the way to go. According to systemcooling, the modded ddc has almost the same flow as the D5.

voigts said:
I was just thinking of switching to a modded ddc when I ran across the fact that a new revision of the DDC is out. I think Danger Den is the only one here in the States that is carrying it presently.

http://dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=135&cat=4&page=1

I am curious how loud it is and how it compares to the D5.

Tell you what, I'm using the pump in a P180. I cannot hear it one bit* Another thing, this pump is SMALL. It's like 2x2 square. Take a look at the optical drive slot, it's not even as tall. Here is a pic of what I mean, it fits in a cdrom bay, AND has room for about 1/8th" of padding both top and bottom(to dampen any vibration).
Edit: Here is a better pic. BTW I mean this pump is quiet, I cannot hear it one bit, it's inside my P-180, the pump is probably 2 ft away from my ear.

Attachments

• DDC12rev2.jpg
    DDC12rev2.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
voigts said:
I am curious how loud it is and how it compares to the D5.

According to Swiftech the new version is "more powerful, but also much noisier." (than the older DDC/MCP350). They'll be also releasing the new version soon. It would be nice to see some actual measurements.

There are two revisions of the DDC. One is a 10W pump, the DDC-1, that's been out for a while. This was the revision to cure the startup issues. Then there's the new 18W version which hit the market in the last week or so.

I think that what Swiftech told Paapaa is probably true. The DDC and the D5 have the same style rotor and motor, but the D5's rotor is slightly larger. Why is the DDC so much quieter then? Probably because it's only a 10W pump. Give it almost as much power as its larger cousin, and it will probably make almost as much noise. I'd love to be wrong about that, but I recommend holding off on buying the 18W pump for a silent system for now. OTOH, if you have the time and budget to be the first to experiment with it, I eagerly await your review. :)

Am I correct that you can change the operating voltage (rpm) of D5/MCP655? How does D5 compare to DDC (10W version) with similar power levels? Which produces more noise and which has better performance?

Paapaa, yes the D5 has a little pot to adjust voltage of the pump, although the noise levels are negligible through the different settings so most people just run on high.

Paapaa said:
Am I correct that you can change the operating voltage (rpm) of D5/MCP655? How does D5 compare to DDC (10W version) with similar power levels? Which produces more noise and which has better performance?

Yes, you can change the voltages as they all have an operating range. If I remember right, the DDC requires 9volts minimum to start.

Systemcooling.com has a good review of the D5 and modded DDC. Here are a couple of charts from that site:

image14.gif

modded DDC:

image14.gif

From what I have read, the DDC is about 8db quieter at 12v than the d5. This is why I thought about switching to a modded DDC as it has almost the same flow and psi as a d5 with less noise.

I haven't seen any data though about how the new 18w DDC compares.

Paapaa said:
http://www.systemcooling.com/images/reviews/LiquidCooling/Swiftech_MCP350_Mod/image10big.gif
http://www.systemcooling.com/images/reviews/LiquidCooling/Swiftech_MCP655/image16big.gif
As you can see from the graphs. The unmodified 10W DDC is roughly equivalent to the D5 at its second to highest setting (the red line on the D5 graph is for 14V). The DDC gives more flow in a highly restrictive loop, and the turned-down D5 wins easily in low restriction setups. I'm not sure about the noise level of the D5 at this setting, but the DDC is more or less inaudible.

Modified, the DDC stomps all over all the D5 unless the larger pump is turned all the way up. However, the D5 is clearly the more powerful pump, and at its highest setting, it will will produce as much or more flow than the DDC in almost any system. It will put a few watts more heat into the water, though, and it will definitely make more noise.

I wonder if they are going to phase out the 10w pump altogether in favor of the new 18w pump. I wonder if I should go ahead and get a 10w version as I would rather not have to undervolt the 18w to get the lowered noise of the current 10w ones.

Hum... I wonder how this new 18w version would do with a moded older version's top... Seeing as the old one at almost half the power was almost as good as the D5, this should flat out smoke it.

Maybe I just found a way to get my chiller going, and give me an excuse to upgrade the cooling on my old Koolance unit to see if I can break 650mhz on my 6800NU. I'l like to drop one of these in my X-Qpack with my current moded top to see how it does.

If some of the increase in noise is caused by water vapor going through the pump, the 18W pump might be a little less loud with the modified inlet. If you try it, sir_pyro, please test it with the stock top too and let us know how the mod changes noise and performance.

voigts said:
You have the revision 2 outhouse?
Outhouse, do you have the 18W version of the pump, or are you talking about the 10W revision that always starts? AFAIK, the 18W pump became available from retailers only last week.

Here's some helpful info on the pump, this thread has results from all of the current revisions. Remeber they get it first in Euro., lucky overclockers they are!

HTML:
http://coolercasesuk.co.uk/showthread.php?t=931

Thanks for the link, Bandit. In that thread, I don't think anyone says anything about the noise level of the 18W pump. I guess that's good. One person asked if the DDC-1 was louder and was told no. Maybe they meant the DDC-1 plus, but it's not very clear.

I've been wondering about that alpahcool top for a while now. These are the first test results I've seen. Seems it works almost as well as the inlet mod, but not quite. That's what I expected, but you never really know until someone tests it.

Last edited:
Back