• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sanity check for upgrade/new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OddsCrazyStuff

Registered
I want to change to a smaller case with external radiators, so I can move the damn thing around (current case is Caselabs TH10A).

In the process, so will I most likely upgrade some parts. Ether right away or over time.

So leaving this here for feedback about parts and how well things play to getter.

Given the high end nature of the build, so do I doubt I can select cheaper parts in many places, but let me know if you think I can.

---

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D - Air flow version

MB: MSI X99A GODLIKE carbon
CPU: Intel i7-6950x
GPU: Gigabyte G1 980ti 3 way SLI (1 owned)
RAM: HyperX Predator 2800MHz 64GB (8x8GB)
PSU: Leadex Platinum 2000W (8 Pack) (owned)
Storage: Samsung SM951 NVMe 512GB, Intel 750 NVMe PCIe 400GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB x3, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250GB, WD Black 6TB x4

Cooling:

3x Cougar LED-Fan D14HB-B Blue 140mm
24x Cougar LED-Fan D12HB-B Blue 120mm

4x Scythe Himuro HDD Cooler

2x Phobya Xtreme SUPERNOVA 1080 radiator - Full Copper
2x Phobya Nova 1080 Box - Bricky
2x Phobya Nova 1080 Box faceplate - Bricky

Bitspower MSI X99A GODLIKE GAMING Nickel Plated Full-Covered-Block (Clear)

3x EK-FC980 GTX Ti WF3 - Nickel
3x EK-FC980 GTX Ti WF3 Backplate - Black
EK-FC Terminal TRIPLE Serial - Plexi

2x Laing DDC-pump 12V DDC 3.25 18W
2x Alphacool Eisdecke Laing DDC Plexi top V.2
2x Alphacool Eisdecke DDC/D5 single reservoir for Alphacool Eisdecke top
2x Alphacool Laing DDC metal bottom - black nickel

2x Alphacool Cape Cyclone mounting clips 2 pcs 60mm - black
2x Custom reservoirs (300mm)

aquaero 6 PRO
Passive heat sink for aquaero 6, black
aquabus Y-connector 4 pins

EK-Tube ZMT Matte Black 16,1/11,1mm
EK-ACF Fitting 10/16mm - Blue

Koolance quick release connector G1/4" inner thread to male (High Flow) incl. bulkhead coupling - QD3
Koolance quick release connector 16/10mm (ID 3/8" OD 5/8") female (High Flow) - QD3

Last edited:
I'll take a stab at this....

1. No need for godlike motherboard...
2. No need for $1000 cpu unless you actually use all of its cores.
3. No need for 3 980tis. 2 will run 4k just fine with less hassle than four.
4. No need for 2000w psu even with 3, or 4 980is. I'd get evga 1300w and that will easily cover 3 of them and overclocking.

So you can save some money there... a lot of it.

Edit: that cpu is vaporware right now... Broadwell e won't be out for months.

I'll take a stab at this....

1. No need for godlike motherboard...
2. No need for $1000 cpu unless you actually use all of its cores.
3. No need for 3 980tis. 2 will run 4k just fine with less hassle than four.
4. No need for 2000w psu even with 3, or 4 980is. I'd get evga 1300w and that will easily cover 3 of them and overclocking.

So you can save some money there... a lot of it.

Edit: that cpu is vaporware right now... Broadwell e won't be out for months.

1. I have Asus R5E and I'm not happy with it. But its hard to find a motherboard that can handle everything I want to put on it, so Godlike seemed like a good choice.
2. Already got a 5930K and its lagging behind at times, when I'm working with video. So ether 5960X or 6950X as upgrade.
3. I want to do more then 1 monitor setup, so dont think 2 will do it.
4. Already have the 2000W PSU in my PC. So its staying.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure you've spent enough on your e-peen. What was your question again? :shrug:

I'm just double checking that my upgrades/new stuff works and is needed.
That list is what I think is needed, but checking with other people to see if I can change something.

What are you going to use the PC for?

Video work and multi screen gaming.

What options do you require that other boards do not have?

What resolution are these monitors? How many monitors are you going to have and play games on? It's difficult to confirm what really is needed when pertinent information is left out! :)

Again, the 6950/Broadwell e is currently vaporware and will not be out for a few months. When do you plan on making this purchase?

Either chip (the 5960, now, or the 6950 when it launches) will work on the board you already have, OP.

1. I have Asus R5E and I'm not happy with it. But its hard to find a motherboard that can handle everything I want to put on it, so Godlike seemed like a good choice.
2. Already got a 5930K and its lagging behind at times, when I'm working with video. So ether 5960X or 6950X as upgrade..

I don't see what the Rampage could be lacking, honestly?

The only way you'd need 3x 980Tis is if you're doing multiple 4K displays. You're setting yourself up for a lot of issues. Have you looked into just a single, curved 4K monitor?

What options do you require that other boards do not have?

What resolution are these monitors? How many monitors are you going to have and play games on? It's difficult to confirm what really is needed when pertinent information is left out! :)

Again, the 6950/Broadwell e is currently vaporware and will not be out for a few months. When do you plan on making this purchase?

3 way SLI, space for m.2 and pci slot m.2/ssd, can handle overclock... I think that is mainly it for requirements when it comes to motherboard.
But I also adds water blocks and colour scheme to it, as the plan is to mod it, once I know how much space I need.

The plan is to have get 5 2560x1440 monitors, as I want the monitor space. Also I want Gsync, so most likely will the monitors be capable of going past 60Hz, but that is just a bonus.

The CPU will be one of the later things to add on, along with RAM, as the specs are not out yet.
Reason I wait with RAM, is that I can get 2133mhz once without heat sink, meaning I can use RAM blocks in the loop (got some for cheap), as it adds to the look. But if 6950x needs 2400mhz+ so dont I know what I end up doing.

Plus that I cant upgrade all in one go, do to lack of money anyway. So guess this is a year or 2 project.

Last edited:
a LOT will change over the next 2 years...

What application are you running which will require 20 threads?

2400Mhz is on the very slow end of the DDR4 spectrum.

Will you be gaming on all 5 monitors at once?

I would buy components as you need them. What do you have currently?

Either chip (the 5960, now, or the 6950 when it launches) will work on the board you already have, OP.

I don't see what the Rampage could be lacking, honestly?

The only way you'd need 3x 980Tis is if you're doing multiple 4K displays. You're setting yourself up for a lot of issues. Have you looked into just a single, curved 4K monitor?

The rampage works, but its already shows signs of being well used, despite me installing it a few months ago.
Mainly headers and the GPU braket. I havent abused it any more then other motherboards I have had, but I ether got a bad sample or it can handle less.
So I guess thats why I'm switching.

Plenty of motherboards will fulfill those requirements. :)

Are you playing games across all 5 monitors or just 3? I assume 3? If that is the case, and you are looking for 60 fps+ you will want those 3 980ti's.

But if you are building this over years, what are you getting NOW... WHAT we can help with.

Edit: I'm sorry, you are saying headers and gpu braclet look bad from use????!!! This is why you want to change boards? I'm at a loss for words assuming I understand right...

a LOT will change over the next 2 years...

What application are you running which will require 20 threads?

2400Mhz is on the very slow end of the DDR4 spectrum.

Will you be gaming on all 5 monitors at once?

I would buy components as you need them. What do you have currently?

I know a lot will change with time, so I can only make a guess on what I will end up with now and change if needed, down the line.

Video and other rendering/number crunching stuff uses a lot of CPU power.

The plan is to game on the monitor setup I get yeah.

This plus some cooling stuff:
CPU: Intel i7-5930K
MB: Asus Rampage V Extreme X99
GPU: Gigabyte G1 980Ti
RAM: Crucial DDR4 2133MHz 32GB (8x4GB)
PSU: Cooler Master V1000, 1000W PSU
Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q 1440p 144Hz

I know a lot will change with time, so I can only make a guess on what I will end up with now and change if needed, down the line.

Video and other rendering/number crunching stuff uses a lot of CPU power.

The plan is to game on the monitor setup I get yeah.

This plus some cooling stuff:
CPU: Intel i7-5930K
MB: Asus Rampage V Extreme X99
GPU: Gigabyte G1 980Ti
RAM: Crucial DDR4 2133MHz 32GB (8x4GB)
PSU: Cooler Master V1000, 1000W PSU
Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q 1440p 144Hz

Unless the application you are running is going to make use of the extra threads, you're just throwing your money away upgrading your CPU. I would keep the chip you currently have until Broadwell-E launches, then look at benchmarks specific to your software to see if there are enough benefits from the 20 thread 6950 to justify spending $1000+ on it.

I assume with your current board woes, you're experiencing video card sag? I'm surprised it's as bad as you're saying already on such an expensive board.

If you are going to game on 5x 1440P displays (assuming >3 is even possible), you'll definitely want all 3 980Tis. Have you looked into curved 4K, though? Could be arguably a better experience and wouldn't require so much GPU horsepower (and desk space!!!).

Plenty of motherboards will fulfill those requirements. :)

Are you playing games across all 5 monitors or just 3? I assume 3? If that is the case, and you are looking for 60 fps+ you will want those 3 980ti's.

But if you are building this over years, what are you getting NOW... WHAT we can help with.

Edit: I'm sorry, you are saying headers and gpu braclet look bad from use????!!! This is why you want to change boards? I'm at a loss for words assuming I understand right...
What I'm getting right now, is the water cooling and the case.
Then I will start looking at everything else.

It might not be logical, but I'm just putting it out there, as I dont know how long the board will remain use able.
Half the fan headers are not giving signal any more, just to name something I have barley touched.
Also, this is the first motherboard I have had this problems on, despite it being number 10 or so.

What I'm getting right now, is the water cooling and the case.
Then I will start looking at everything else.

That seems backwards to me. :shrug: Your WC requirements will change depending on the hardware you end up with. Plus, you're going to want to get things running smoothly on aircooling before you put everything into a custom loop, that way you avoid having to redo things many times over...

It might not be logical, but I'm just putting it out there, as I dont know how long the board will remain use able.
Half the fan headers are not giving signal any more, just to name something I have barley touched.
Also, this is the first motherboard I have had this problems on, despite it being number 10 or so.

Sounds like RMA time to me.

Unless the application you are running is going to make use of the extra threads, you're just throwing your money away upgrading your CPU.

I assume on your current board woes, you're experiencing video card sag? I'm surprised it's as bad as you're saying already on such an expensive board.

If you are going to game on 5x 1440P displays (assuming >3 is even possible), you'll definitely want all 3 980Tis. Have you looked into curved 4K, though? Could be arguably a better experience and wouldn't require so much GPU horsepower (and desk space!!!).

I have seen some people manage to get 7200x2560 (5x 2560x1440), so its possible. Guess its because its less then 3x 4k.

I have looked at curved monitors, but they are worse to deal with, if you want more then 1. Single 4k is not that much of an upgrade over what I have, plus its hard to find a 4k monitor with gsync over 30in (to prevent scaling problems).

Its possible I got a bad board or have somehow threaded it worse then the others, do to it being the first I fully water cooled, but I'm not sure what the reason is.
Only thing I know, is that I have the problem.

That seems backwards to me. :shrug: Your WC requirements will change depending on the hardware you end up with. Plus, you're going to want to get things running smoothly on aircooling before you put everything into a custom loop, that way you avoid having to redo things many times over...

Sounds like RMA time to me.

I have a custom loop on my current system, but switching to external radiators to get a PC I can move (like going to LANs).
As a result, so wont the current pumps handle it (not enough head pressure), so they need to be changed as well.
The rest is just to improve things, such as better fan control and more silent fans.

Might be back wards, but its the way I have done it.

I cant RMA, since I water cooled it.

I have seen some people manage to get 7200x2560 (5x 2560x1440), so its possible. Guess its because its less then 3x 4k.

I have looked at curved monitors, but they are worse to deal with, if you want more then 1. Single 4k is not that much of an upgrade over what I have, plus its hard to find a 4k monitor with gsync over 30in (to prevent scaling problems).

Sounds like too much screen real estate for gaming, in my opinion. I wouldn't want to be turning my head as much as will be required to see what's going on on the outer screens, but to each his own :shrug:

In any event, I would start your purchasing with the monitors to find out if you actually want to game on 5 at once. If you end up not keeping them all, your GPU requirements may change.

You'll want at least two 980Tis for 3x 1440P, definitely three GPUs if you stick with 5x 1440P.

Along the way, you can work out the board issues with Asus - they might still honor warranty, worth a shot at least.

When Broadwell-E launches, you can decide on the CPU upgrade.

I would save additional WC purchases until the end, when you have the final build settled. That way, you don't end up with extra blocks and parts. (EDIT: just saw your above post - would still try to save as much watercooling purchasing until the end, but do what you gotta do)

Last edited:
Sounds like too much screen real estate for gaming, in my opinion. I wouldn't want to be turning my head as much as will be required to see what's going on on the outer screens, but to each his own :shrug:

In any event, I would start your purchasing with the monitors to find out if you actually want to game on 5 at once. If you end up not keeping them all, your GPU requirements may change.

You'll want at least two 980Tis for 3x 1440P, definitely three GPUs if you stick with 5x 1440P.

Along the way, you can work out the board issues with Asus - they might still honor warranty, worth a shot at least.

When Broadwell-E launches, you can decide on the CPU upgrade.

I would save additional WC purchases until the end, when you have the final build settled. That way, you don't end up with extra blocks and parts. (EDIT: just saw your above post - would still try to save as much watercooling purchasing until the end, but do what you gotta do)

I wont get the blocks before I need them.

As for GPU and monitors, so will I most likely add 1 GPU first, then get some monitors. Will see about the rest after that.

Edit:
(EDIT: just saw your above post - would still try to save as much watercooling purchasing until the end, but do what you gotta do)
Between the case change and going from 4x 480mm (got them cheap) inside the case to external radiator(s), so will the case is self be around 15kg lighter. Which means I can now lift it solo again.
Yes, I have to go an extra trip with the radiator(s), but at least so I dont need to wait till I find someone to help me out.

I will get 1 radiator with 1 pump first, just to be able to switch case. Then add as needed.

Last edited:
I also don't see how going from the giant case labs case to a still-giant 750D with external rads is going to make your system any more portable... Better off just building a second ITX rig with a single GTX 980 to power one of the 1440P displays (assuming you will only take 1 to LANs).

Back