• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question - Swiftech Storm.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

-aDaM^

Disabled
Hey guys, this is a silly question i think i know the anwser, just double cheaking.

On the storm do you guys use the middle barb for INPUT :confused: I know how the storm is built and figured that made more sence does it matter?

Here's a little picture on how I think you should do it, you guys agree?

lolerskates0rd.jpg

I would agree, because the inlet being right over the core of the chip, this would cause the most turbulence, and therefore the most cooling directly over the core.

Joe Camel said:
absolutely positively a MUST to use the CENTER as the in

the entire design of the block centers around "shooting" the water @ the base

that's what i thaught, i've noticed on a few peoples setups they have em reversed :-/

Senater_Cache said:
I believe the average penalty for flowing the Strom in reverse is 5C (IIRC).
Its a Jet impignment design and needs water flowing through it in a specific way.

center = inlet.

Ouch 5*C, that's a major penalty.

proves what...that the center barb is the inlet?

(i will refrain from commenting further till you respond)

EDIT:

sorry i cant hold back any longer...
the entire theory the Storm is based around is taking the water and shooting it (through multiple "funnels" that increase the velocity of the water) into a "cup" machined into the base (with a small dimple in the center of the base of the cup) all this is done to produce crazy high amounts of turbulence and thus produce the most efficient "base to water" heat transfer...

now, imagine that whole thing running in reverse... :bang head

using anything other than the center as the inlet is like looking @ a funnel, turning it upside-down and wondering why its not helping you pour water into a hole....im really sorry if i come across cruel or rude, but .... come-on!!!

here are some pics of the G7
http://www.employees.org/~slf/g7/

Last edited:
Sorry Joe. Wanted to know for a fact if the inlet was the center barb since it's not on Swiftech's site or even the installation manual. I found the same answer (inlet = center) all around the web though. I happen to be leak testing my system right now and have it in reverse so now I have to change it all around I guess.

edit: Thanks for the reaffirmation. I'll have to change it tonight. Can't blame me for not knowing the complete workings of a CPU water block, heh. It wasn't in the manual provided by Swiftech so I thought it was all good. Close call, good thing this thread was started.

Last edited:
Joe Camel said:
proves what...that the center barb is the inlet?

(i will refrain from commenting further till you respond)

EDIT:

sorry i cant hold back any longer...
the entire theory the Storm is based around is taking the water and shooting it (through multiple "funnels" that increase the velocity of the water) into a "cup" machined into the base (with a small dimple in the center of the base of the cup) all this is done to produce crazy high amounts of turbulence and thus produce the most efficient "base to water" heat transfer...

now, imagine that whole thing running in reverse... :bang head

using anything other than the center as the inlet is like looking @ a funnel, turning it upside-down and wondering why its not helping you pour water into a hole....im really sorry if i come across cruel or rude, but .... come-on!!!

here are some pics of the G7
http://www.employees.org/~slf/g7/

after having such a great experience with my G4 and G5 I'm deffinitly getting a G7, looks sweet.

-aDaM^ said:
after having such a great experience with my G4 and G5 I'm deffinitly getting a G7, looks sweet.

Where do you guys even get these? Even the G5?

you OWN(ed) a G4 and G5 and still needed to make this thread...
you OWN(ed) a G4 and G5 and your now using a Swiftech storm...

:bang head

im just plain speechless :(

GOOD LUCK guys!! ( :rolleyes: your gona need it)

EDIT:
G4/G5/G7 blocks needed to be "ordered" through Cathar ... but they were "custom" batches and now unavailable except used...

Last edited:
you dont and adam will probably not get a G7 considering that there is only 1 in existance and that stew is in no hurry to make more than a very few of them for certian elites due to the extreme machine timeand cost

Joe calm down. I just haven't seen a G5 for sale. From what I understand there were only a few of them made and whoever made them let only the first-come enthusiasts buy them.

im sorry, its just that i research the living hell out of something B4 i buy it, let alone (<- edited) install it... and i cant imagine owning a Storm WB and not understanding how/why it works and or is better than the other WB.

sorry :(

EDIT:

whoever made them
ahhhhhhh ..... must not .....

who's this Henry Ford guy and what the hell does he know about cars or production lines?!!

:eh?:

Cathar (the father of the water cooling industry as we know it) made them.

Last edited:
I've read everything about the storm but never once came accross something explicitly saying that the center was the inlet. Even when I looked online I only found a few sites with some random people in forums stating so, but true research should try to find validity in answers, thats why I was looking for an official wording from somewhere that I can trust, like directly on Swiftech's website or a review website.

I'm sure there's plenty of things you take for granted. I do, there's not enought time to learn everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back