• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

24V on a D5?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orionlion82

well,
i need a heck of a pump for (well, its a secret for now)
and i have YET to find anything better than the D5 in my reasearch.

how much more will 24V get me on one?
in terms of head, GPH, and noise?
is it a linear curve? (then why dosnt swiftech show it in the Docs?)
how about lifespan?
how much more heat?
what else should i have asked here?

i was thinking of picking up one of these
http://www.powersupplydepot.com/pow...s\24V_CT_(12-0-12)10A_TRANSFORMER_7846-TR.asp when i bought the D5, then wiring a 12/24 switch in somehow (since theres only 12V coming off the transformer anyway). the D5 is rated for 24V so im not worried about that...

thoughts?

If you need that much more pump than a D5 I would consider something stronger, maybe an Iwaki. Do a search, they are pretty popular for high head systems.

Yeah find yourself a md20rzg or similiar pump off ebay you wont be disappointed. same heat dump as the d5, and nearly twice the head.

- Brandon

Also dont get a wmd series they are louder and dump a bit more heat into a lop the MD models.

Here's a link to the exact pump I have from the seller I bought mine from.
http://cgi.ebay.com/IWAKI-MAGNET-PU...615385733QQcategoryZ46547QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Hope this helps you out with your project.

Last edited:
You will kill the D5 at around 17v or so. If you need such a strong pump, look into the Iwaki RD-30 which is a 24v pump, 10M head. Warning, they are not cheap it will run you about $250 - $275.

You can get better pumps at lowes, i have one, 675 GPH @ 1 foot liftand 13.5 feet of head for 80 dollars, you just need adapters for the inlet and outlets

Arca_ex said:
You can get better pumps at lowes, i have one, 675 GPH @ 1 foot liftand 13.5 feet of head for 80 dollars, you just need adapters for the inlet and outlets
Better than what? Surely you don't mean better than the Iwakis.

nikhsub1 said:
You will kill the D5 at around 17v or so. If you need such a strong pump, look into the Iwaki RD-30 which is a 24v pump, 10M head. Warning, they are not cheap it will run you about $250 - $275.

you get em with the japaneese or american motors in them?

im surprised swiftech rates their D5 for up to 24V,

orionlion82 said:
you get em with the japaneese or american motors in them?

im surprised swiftech rates their D5 for up to 24V,
The RD's only come one way, Japanese.

Perseus said:
nik, are there pictures of your loop that you would be so kind as to post? Also, are you running your RD at 24V's?

yes I would like to see those pictures!

Perseus said:
nik, are there pictures of your loop that you would be so kind as to post? Also, are you running your RD at 24V's?
Sure, and yes I run it at 24V for now.

Size of RD-30 next to the G5:

rdandg5.jpg

Pump installed needing serious wire management :D

pumpside.jpg

RD-30 Series P/Q curves:

rd30.JPG

The "Clean Side":

shroud3.jpg

The beastlyness of the RD-30:

shoot3.jpg

And the 24v PSU that powers the RD:

24psu.jpg

And when I stop being lazy, it is all (with some new parts :D ) going in here:

frontgrillfar.jpg

AZNBoiOnFIYA said:
why not just pick up another d5 and run them in series.

well, see, i really dont need much flow rate
not as much as an iwaki, (HOLY WOW Nikh!)
BUT
i do need higher pressures than i think a D5 or two can give me.

i only need 120-140 GPH (any more is icing on the cake, but not the goal)

the catch is that i need that at 15-25PSI (more wont hurt, but thats the min) and i somehow dont think that a D5 or two can touch that, even if you "overclock" it... (not sure how to convert flow rate and head to PSI???)

and really, i CANT go overboard on the pump - i mean ill buy the right tool for the job even at a steep price, but now that ive thought about it-
im dealing with POWER constraints.

ive got 950W to spare- on a circut that must run : an (oc'd) conroe rig, a 452W pelt, and the pumps

Ahh...I see. See...the whole...'wait' thing just doesn't float well...do we get any hints? :D

Back