• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some information on a water pump top. (dual D5 Top)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sbr2012

Registered
I've recently purchased a new computer chassis (Antec cannon) and I'm wanting to run two separate loops. Looking at the chassis and how it is designed i should have enough room to run separate loops. The chassis has the support to run up to 4 3x120mm radiators and I'm wanting to take up that challenge.

So one thing I've been looking at is the dual D5 Tops and I've been doing some digging through the web to find information on whether they can support parallel or series setup. The descriptions always say running them in series will be great in case of a pump failure, etc etc but nothing about if they can do both. I'm not going to go on the whim and assume they can. Pictures don't show the parts, the description doesn't state it. With all the SME's in here, can these dual tops run either or or is there other parts that i would need in order to support two separate loops with it. I don't want to go through the hassle of purchasing these parts and find out it can't do it.

If they can't support this i believe i can still run two separate loops with two D5 single setups. I know one D5 can support both the GPU, CPU, radiators, fitting/tube bend restrictions and all but i want a new challenge with the space i have. At the end of the day if all fails i can just run a single loop.

Some may say it's over kill but oh well. I want to try something new and challenging.

...4 3x120mm radiators..... and I'm wanting to run two separate loops
The problem with today's CPUs and GPUs is getting the heat out of the die, not the heat overwhelming the amount of cooling. You can EASILY use 2x 3x120mm rads for that setup. Going 4 adds unnecessary restriction and cooling is at a point of diminishing returns (so at that point it's wasted money for cooling purposes). You can definitely do new and challenging without wasting money for super overkill (overall is good, we're overclockers.com, lol). Either way, we'll help! Can't wait to see your build!

As for the dual d5... Apologies, but I don't know the answer. Hopefully, someone here does. Just in case, send an email off to the mfg and see what they say. :)

Last edited:
The problem with today's CPUs and GPUs is getting the heat out of the die, not the heat overwhelming the amount of cooling. You can EASILY use 2x 3x120mm rads for that setup. Going 4 adds unnecessary restriction and cooling is at a point of diminishing returns (so at that point it's wasted money for cooling purposes). You can definitely do new and challenging without wasting money for super overkill (overall is good, we're overclockers.com, lol). Either way, we'll help! Can't wait to see your build!

As for the dual d5... Apologies, but I don't know the answer. Hopefully, someone here does. Just in case, send an email off to the mfg and see what they say. :)

Got ya!!.. That's why i was reaching out to the forum. It's been a while since i've really tinkered much with what i have and wanted to reach out.

I was going to give the GPU two 3x120mm and the CPU two so that the restriction of the pipes would be minimum and they would have their own dedicated closed loop. This way i might be able to control the cooling per block?

I was going to give the GPU two 3x120mm and the CPU two so that the restriction of the pipes would be minimum and they would have their own dedicated closed loop. This way i might be able to control the cooling per block?
I mean that's true, but a single D5 can handle two rads and two devices...so you're fixing something that isn't a problem (restriction)? Control over each is another thing, but why you want control over each loop? I could see if this was SLI or threw in VRM/Chipset/M2 along with SLI, but with a single GPU and single CPU, you're literally going to spend double for little performance/cooling gains and to have control over a second loop (what does control over each loop ACTUALLY give you??).

Again, we're here and will help if you insist on the dual loop, but we'd be remiss if we didn't share our thoughts so you can make the most informed decision possible in this adventure. I think you'll be pleased with the results of 2x 3.120 rads with your configuration. You can even run 2 loops with 2 rads if you want that control and separation and save hundreds in the process (seems necessary to me, personally, but I'm not building it, lol). More than 3x120mm for a CPU or that GPU is just overspending (which again is OK... we're just here to hand the info out... it's your choice, of course!).

Last edited:
I mean that's true, but a single D5 can handle two rads and two devices...so you're fixing something that isn't a problem (restriction)? Control over each is another thing, but again I ask why you want granular control over the loops? I could see if this was SLI or threw in VRM/Chipset/M2, but with a single GPU and single CPU, you're literally going to spend double for little performance gains and to have control over a second loop.

Again, we're here, and will help if you insist on the dual loop, but we'd be remiss if we didn't share our thoughts so you can make the most informed decision possible. :)
Thank you very much. I like input and people that look outside the box and not just make a decision around one view. I haven't made any moves with it yet, I'm doing a lot of research on everything.

At one point I've thought about cooling more than just those two devices but not right now. Then again i could run the two and upgrade later if or when i do that.

I've never liked the idea of the heat from one device heating the water and pushing the heat into the other device to cool it. I mean that is just a personal thing though.

I've never liked the idea of the heat from one device heating the water and pushing the heat into the other device to cool it. I mean that is just a personal thing though.
In a closed loop, temperatures normalize. At any point inside a properly radded and flowing loop, the temperature difference from one point to the next doesn't vary by more than 1-2C. Overall it will mix and raise temps, sure. But, you're watercooling and have plenty of headroom as well. Are you going to be sad if the CPU/GPU runs at 65C as opposed to 60C (random values, note, just trying to share that difference won't be much)? That's kind of where we're at with heat dump in such a loop.

If you decide later you want a full-coverage block for that board (not sure they make one........) just add a radiator anyway, lol. Clearly I'm not convinced of the merits of 2 loops, lol.

In a closed loop, temperatures normalize. At any point inside a properly radded and flowing loop, the temperature difference from one point to the next doesn't vary by more than 1-2C. Overall it will mix and raise temps, sure. But, you're watercooling and have plenty of headroom as well. Are you going to be sad if the CPU/GPU runs at 65C as opposed to 60C (random values, note, just trying to share that difference won't be much)? That's kind of where we're at with heat dump in such a loop.

If you decide later you want a full-coverage block for that board (not sure they make one........) just add a radiator anyway, lol. Clearly I'm not convinced of the merits of 2 loops, lol.
Thank you for the information and input. I'm going to see what the company says about the Dual D5 top. I need to know because it's been bugging me that i can't find it in black and white. ha ha.

Right now I'm running two 3x120mm rads and the CPU runs 60/70's degrees and the GPU runs at 59 degrees while playing games or under load.

Right now I'm running two 3x120mm rads and the CPU runs 60/70's degrees and the GPU runs at 59 degrees while playing games or under load.
Seems perfect. CPU is 30/40C from throttling and the GPU is under the point where it drops bins too.

I run dual pumps in my setup primarily because I didn't trust my 10+ year old pump totally. Other than that I doubt it was necessary. Mine are running a single loop with 3x120, 4x120, Optimus foundation cpu block, xspc rasa cpu block(on second pc) and 3080 GPU block and still sucked in the hose going in the pump so I think it has too much power. When I rebuild it I am going to try a single pump instead.

To your question of two loops. I believe xspc makes a dual bay res that holds two pumps with separate reservoirs you might check out or look at the distro plates designed for that as well. Personally I think dual loops is more trouble than its worth considering all the tubing needed.

I run dual pumps in my setup primarily because I didn't trust my 10+ year old pump totally.
I thought about that, but then figured out that all hardware has integrated protections in them to prevent damage from heat. First a CPU throttles, then if it hits TJMax, just shuts down to prevent damage. Same with a graphics card. Unless you bypass those protections, the hardware will live if there's a loop failure like that. :)

I love the MCP35X dual pump housing. I think it no longer in production because you can't find it anywhere any more. I am using this it for almost 10 yrs now and still using it. I used it to push thru 3 Black Ice GTX Radiators 2-360 and 1- 480mm. Those MCP35x pump are great and reliable. Few yrs ago I also bought the MCP50X for backup and sitting on the shelf. Don't have need to use it yet.

Back