• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

After Pump fails for 10 mins, Display distorted

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

natewildes

My D4 could not pump the water due to a kink for about 10 minutes, and the computer shut off. After I ran just the pump for a few minutes to cool the CPU block (an apogee), I turned the computer back on to find the display distorted with blue or white parallel lines, in columns. Right where the welcome screen should appear, the screen goes black, with the monitor's 'testing' box (the idle display). Even the BIOS is distorted, and my mobo's temp sensors never worked so I can't see the temp of the CPU, but it should be fine by now. Any ideas?

EDIT: REPOSTED IN MORE APPLICABLE SECTION

Last edited:
no, just the CPU. I had an issue a while ago when my VGA got wet, and the screen went blank where the welcome screen should have been, but the VGA did NOT get wet this time.

Ok. Sorry to hear about this mishap, but its good that the vidcard didn't get wet. All I can suggest is test each component one at a time in a known good system (Ram, CPU, mobo, and, for good measure, GPU). Something bad happened, obviously, and now it is time to identify the unhappy component and 'upgrade' it.

natewildes said:
so you don't think it's due to over-heating??

I'd doubt it. It does seem like a video problem. Try pulling out the card, reseating it. If it still does that, maybe even an alcohol bath (even if it didn't spill). Try reseating the CPU as well. and the ram. Basically test every item individually.

I don't know, because I've seen CPU's die within 3-5 minutes with no cooling, damage can start occuring as soon as 30 seconds, but with the way it's acting I would blame the video card.

yes it does. Could it be the CPU and not the GPU? The GPU isn't water cooled, so there is no reason the cooling would be affected...

natewildes said:
yes it does. Could it be the CPU and not the GPU? The GPU isn't water cooled, so there is no reason the cooling would be affected...

Yes, it could be the CPU. You can't rule out the video card until you make it work in another system. Honestly, it could be a lot of things. (Ex. damaged CPU; damaged power regulator mosfets; damaged northbridge; damaged traces on the face of the mobo; corrupt or damaged CMOS/BIOS; bad connection at cpu socket, PCI/AGP slot, PCI-E slot, etc. etc.) Could be as simple as an inadequate connection/plug. The GPU should not have suffered directly from this overheat, but it was weakened by the last catastrophe, so who knows? Test it if ya can.

Help us help you:
What steps have you taken to isolate the unhappy component?
Which components have you tested and proven to have been unaffected by this overheat?

If the vidcard reported it's BIOS, it seems that the vidcard might have survived. I hope that this is the case. At this point we can't really scratch that off the list, however, unless you have already tested it. Are you lucky enough to have a 2nd PC about the house, or have a friend with a compatible PC in which you can try these tests?

Sitting here, I can not in good faith, tell you what broke. I have no way of knowing. The most I can do is what I have been doing: prompting you to test components.

Another thing to keep in mind: The part that is causing this problem might have failed on it's own and had nothing to do with the cooling problem. Stranger things have happened.

Back