• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP Pro 4/2 gig limit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Commander_Kang

Speedy Dragon
I'm in the process of researching the needed hardware for a new game server I'm going to be running.Its going to be a sever to host a NWN2 PW.Its gonna be a HUGE memory pig and I'm looking at over two gigs of usuage just from the NWN server software.From what I have read Windows Xp Pro 32bit can handle 4gigs of memory but can only allow an application access to 2gigs of memory?Is this true and is there anyway around it other than going to windows XP Pro 64?

Winxp doesn't like 4 gigs on most boards. I've seen a rare case of it recognizing all four but I don't knwo about the 2 gb thing. I would recomend using Win2k3 anyway. It makes sense to me since it is less of a memory hog, handles memory better, has a great kernel, and should recognize up to 64 gig, depending on which version you are running.

Yes winxp does have those limits as MS sees it fit in those days that only servers need that much ram. I would do the above if you can run it on 2k3 do that. Even better if you have a linux server option do that might benefit you in the long run. Off course the memory and all that will change with the new Vista if it ever comes out.

Cheator said:
Winxp doesn't like 4 gigs on most boards. I've seen a rare case of it recognizing all four but I don't knwo about the 2 gb thing. I would recomend using Win2k3 anyway. It makes sense to me since it is less of a memory hog, handles memory better, has a great kernel, and should recognize up to 64 gig, depending on which version you are running.

Yeah I was thinking of just buying Server 2003 though honestly I wish theyd make a linux based server and then none of this would be an issue.

You would need to add the /3GB swith to the Boot.ini, as explained in this KB article...

A description of the 4 GB RAM Tuning feature and the Physical Address Extension switch
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291988

By default XP allocates 2GB memory to applications and 2GB to the OS, regardless of the amount of physical RAM on the computer. Using the /3GB switch tunes the OS so that the memory allocation for applications is 3GB and the OS allocation is dropped to 1GB.

redduc900 said:
You would need to add the /3GB swith to the Boot.ini, as explained in this KB article...

A description of the 4 GB RAM Tuning feature and the Physical Address Extension switch
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291988

By default XP allocates 2GB memory to applications and 2GB to the OS, regardless of the amount of physical RAM on the computer. Using the /3GB switch tunes the OS so that the memory allocation for applications is 3GB and the OS allocation is dropped to 1GB.

Awsome you just saved me from having to buy another OS.

Little bit of a thread resurection here. Just installed W2K3 server standard (32-bit) on a new box w/4GB of RAM and set the 3GB switch. Installed memory still reads 2.75GB (bios posts 4.XXGB); As I understand the allocation, even though the memory does not display in computer properties, task manager performance tab, etc..., it will still be available to those applications that need it. Do I have this straight, or should I just install WXP64 on this box to take advantage of all 4MB (of which I really will use every bit)?

Back