• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I am trying to slipstream WinXP Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TekeTorvo

I have managed to create a Virtual Disk, and I am installing WindowsXP Pro on it. I used nLite for my slipstream. So far every thing is doing as it should except for 2 things.

1. It asked me to choose which partition to install it on. I thought it was all automatic.

2. It did not choose my region automatically. I did choose the EST time zone option when creating the ISO in nlite.

Also, while I am posting, is there a way to find out that it did indeed install the RAID/Chipset/Display drivers correctly? Or do I have to do a clean install?

TekeTorvo said:
I have managed to create a Virtual Disk, and I am installing WindowsXP Pro on it. I used nLite for my slipstream. So far every thing is doing as it should except for 2 things.

1. It asked me to choose which partition to install it on. I thought it was all automatic.

2. It did not choose my region automatically. I did choose the EST time zone option when creating the ISO in nlite.

Also, while I am posting, is there a way to find out that it did indeed install the RAID/Chipset/Display drivers correctly? Or do I have to do a clean install?

What did you use to create your virtual disk (or should I ask virtual machine) VMware?

1> you install it on the virtual disk you set aside/created
2> change your region then if it isn't correct

If using vmware, it will use it's own set of drivers for video, raid won't matter as it is using the host's disk, raid or not. Chipset drivers, bah, I don't use them on any of my vm's and they work just fine

jajmon said:
Chipset drivers, bah, I don't use them on any of my vm's and they work just fine

Thanks for pointing out that the VirtualPC will use the host raid drivers.

I don't want to do this halfway. If I do something, I want it to be correct, and complete. What good is an unattended install, if I have to sit and baby sit it? And not having the drivers installed may work fine on a Virtual machine, but it won't work on the c:/, which is why I am doing this to begin with.

I am using Microsofts Virtual PC.

I just finished getting everything installed. None of my intergrated drivers worked. Sound, Display, Chipset.

I will try to create a new .iso again tomorrow, after going through nlite again. Eventually this will work, (I hope).

Anyone know how to extract the driver files from the driver pack that you download from Audigy? When you click it, they are extracted to a place, but it never says where.

Some drivers like nVidia store on the C: in My Computer next to Programs Files & the WINDOWS folder try there. If not just use search and type Audigy and make sure your searching for hidden files as well. It'll probably come up with the folder make sure it's the drivers inside and copy them to USB pen drive or something.

UnseenMenace said:
This website is a valuable resource for slipstreaming and making an unattended Windows disk

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/

Yes. I got that link when you posted it in a different, but similar thread. I have spent late nights, and hours after hours reading from that site, and trying to fine tune it.

I have everything installing smoothly from the Windows aspect, but I can't get ANY drivers to install. I am still trying to figure it out. Because I am testing my disk on a virtual machine, I think it is safe to assume that the RAID drivers won't work on my unattended install either. Thanks for the link BTW.

AngelfireUk83= Nvidia drivers (all) are easy to find because it gives you the option of where you want them extracted to. Audigy soundblaster does not. I will try to do a search. Thanks.

Last edited:
TekeTorvo said:
Yes. I got that link when you posted it in a different, but similar thread. I have spent late nights, and hours after hours reading from that site, and trying to fine tune it.

I have everything installing smoothly from the Windows aspect, but I can't get ANY drivers to install. I am still trying to figure it out. Because I am testing my disk on a virtual machine, I think it is safe to assume that the RAID drivers won't work on my unattended install either. Thanks for the link BTW.

AngelfireUk83= Nvidia drivers (all) are easy to find because it gives you the option of where you want them extracted to. Audigy soundblaster does not. I will try to do a search. Thanks.

Run the extractor with '/?'. It should tell you some extra options to use in the setup process.

TekeTorvo said:

If you go to the forums, a member has created various driver packs which feature a wide range of drivers... This is the easy way the sound pack includes the soundblaster drivers

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=111

If you can not get the driver using those packs hit me up a PM and ill try to help although its been a while since i did a disk.

Raid drivers do work on a unattended install

Last edited:
nlite has an option where it can automatically add any driver into the final ISO automatically. Worked fine for my silicon image sata drivers, nvidia drivers, etc.. No need for driver packs.

If it's anything like my soundblaster drivers, extract the setup file, then use nLite to look for *.inf's in the folders there, that's one way I've done it before. I can't remember the current way I do it...

dont inetergrate the drivers just include the installers on the iso nlite creates.

right click my computer and click manage, navigate you way to services, disable, themes, auto updates, fast user switching. these are the most resource intensive background process. dont just stop make sure they are disabled.

i have made a custom install cd that does this for me, and applies hundreds of other registry tweaks. i have windows down to a a 7 second boot on a old 7200rpm maxtor. thats from bios to desktop ready to run apps.

also i managed to uninstall Internet explorer

This will be the dumbest question I have ever asked, and trust me, I tried to find the answer before posting it.

When I burn the final files onto my disk, do I burn them as an ISO, or not? If I use Nero, do I burn it as a bootable? And which file do I get with Isobuster to make sure it gets on the final disk?

burn as ISO. in nero, "Burn image". You don't get any file with isobuster. That's totally unecessary when using nlite. You get a big file .iso or .bin (can't remember which) and that's your CD image.

@BloodbathMK: drivers you need to boot (like my SATA drivers) aren't working very well when only installers are copied to the CD and nothing else. Windows gets kinda unhappy when it wants to boot/install then.

I think bloodbathmk meant to just put them on the CD and execute them once windows has finished installing. I might be wrong though.

thanks for the info.

I can't speak for Ms virtual pc. I use vmware to create my virtuals on my xp host. I slipped streamed XP pro w/sp2 using Nlite and installed my xp vm's from that, no extra drivers. Everthing works fine, sound,video,usb etc...even when I create linux or bsd vm's. IMO, vmware is far ahead of MS offering. vmware server is free and can create many different vm's for differents OS's, including solaris if one would choose to do so

Ok, this is strange. I decided to create an unattended basic, with no drivers at all. I wanted to get it working, and then start working on getting the drivers to work.

I had all Harddrives disconnected, except the one that has nothing on it.

When it got to, "push the F6 to install RAID drivers", I didn't push it cause I was happy with the fact that it is now bootable, and that is a good start. Anyways, it went through and was able to see the SATA drive, even though I never installed the drivers.

Does the nForce4 chipset not need drivers?

Back