• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Transferring M.2 NVMe SSD To New Mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

I am preparing to upgrade my hardware. That means a new mobo (Asus Prime Z790M-Plus, a new Intel i9-13900K, and new DDR5 memory). I currently have W10 install on a 2 TB Samsung 990 Pro (recently cloned from a 970 Pro).

A clean install is certainly preferable and is indeed my eventual intention. However, due to the confluence of a number of higher priority life commitments right now, I just want to transfer the existing 990 Pro C: drive to the new hardware and allocate the time needed for the clean install to a few months from now.

The existing 990 Pro is now installed in a three year old Asus Prime Z490-A. Will it work and boot by just transferring it to the new Asus Prime Z790M-Plus?

Also, even if it does start up, can I expect any other issues I am not smart enough to know to consider now?

As far as i know the new system will boot fine , alltho , youll need a new Windows Activation Key.
The web serves us unused recycled windows keys these days at a steep discount. Keys are often listed on Ebay aswell at low pricing.

It sometimes doesn't work when you move from Intel to AMD, but if there are the same storage drivers (or built-in OS), then it's fine. If you move drives in RAID between Intel motherboards, then it works too, but on AMD it doesn't work.

Windows key can be reused as long as it wasn't activated too many times. For retail licenses, it's should still be 5 times, and later you have to call support and tell them something like the motherboard was broken, and you had to replace it (the motherboard affects the PC ID saved on MS servers). If you have a box license (not OEM, but box), then you can move it between computers.

Back