• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Hot Can RAM Get Before Errors Occur?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rickster

Ok, I ran memtest+86, and I got alot of errors like 80+ errors. This is if I put a fan, the RAM gets as hot as 42C. If I don't put a fan the RAM get to about 55C. Ambient is 33C.

Then I turn on the air cond , and put the fan there the RAM gets to about 36C and miraculously I dont get any errors, except for a rare error. I was looping test 8 for 22 times.

Im just wondering what the hell Im going to do when I have my parts in my case and when I get my watercooling setup.

Also any mod or something that I can do which is pretty simple to keep my RAM cooled? Ive seen this mod where this guy made something out of hangar wires and clipped it on the DIMM clips.

Not RAM, something else. More than likely the chipset getting too hot.

It is possible that the RAM is straight up defective. Errors at pretty much normal operating temperatures, which is what you have there without the fan, happen only if the memory is bad.

More, info will also help... What mobo, RAM, specs such as voltage, timings and speeds would help.

Look at it this way. RAM gets very warm no matter what the application. 55c is nothing.

If you are getting errors with two sticks or memory versus just 1 you need to investigate the mobo. Perhaps a BIOS update will fix your problem. Let us hope it is that easy.

is it possible you have the ram in the wrong slots?

you never know...

ram can get pretty hot before starting to fail. i would look at the mobo settings like soul said or perhaps different ram alltogether.

is everything stock? perhaps you have some timmings that are slightly tight and are causing errors at hotter temps.

??

Well the funny thing is that one stick can do test 8 on DIMM1 but not DIMM2. The other stick can do test 8 on both DIMM 1&2. So Ive put the RAM so that the stick that can only do DIMM1 in DIMM1 and the other stick which can handle DIMM1&2 in DIMM2.

Im going to give DIMM3&4 a go tonight. Maybe I should update my bios. I have set the timings as 3-4-4-8 1T which is what the manufacturer has stated. If you look at my link in my post above those are my settings I have set in the BIOS. I have actually decreased vDIMM to 2.5V (stock is 2.6V) and I noticed better results for some odd reason.

ok i didn't have time to test DIMM3&4 but i did update the bios to the lastest possible on the abit website.

i still get 2 errors if there's no aircond on. does the chipset really affect memtest errors? my chipset is 56.5C. if the aircond is on i only got 1 error out of 13 passes. I think it's the chipset now(if it really affects ram).

Back