• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DD2 Memory Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
batboy said:
If you are not overclocking, then why get DDR2-800? The last link you posted has better timings.

Why not? if AM2 Supports up to (& probably over) DDR2 800... Why wouldn't I want to use the systems full (stock) potential?? Isn't that like getting a DDR400 board and only getting PC2100 memory for it?

Unless I'm missing something here? Memory & timings and all that jaz has never been my strong suit always have ment to brush up and try and get it down just never seem to have the time.lol

If I'm not going to be OC'ing & want fast memory to go with an AM2 system what would you recommend?

if you dont feel like changing your timings then get any ram that's at least able to run the fsb you have stock on your system and has the best timmings.

ddr2-800 runs 400 fsb stock. so... i have no idea what the amd fsb is all about but if that's higher then without overclock or timming changes... its wasted money.

if you feel like experimenting with timmings a bit. read up on their functions and get some slightly faster ram and tighten the timmings up.

that would give you some room also if at some point, in the future, you do feel like venturing into overclocking.

good luck and have fun.

exhausted mule said:
if you dont feel like changing your timings then get any ram that's at least able to run the fsb you have stock on your system and has the best timmings.

ddr2-800 runs 400 fsb stock. so... i have no idea what the amd fsb is all about but if that's higher then without overclock or timming changes... its wasted money.

if you feel like experimenting with timmings a bit. read up on their functions and get some slightly faster ram and tighten the timmings up.

that would give you some room also if at some point, in the future, you do feel like venturing into overclocking.

good luck and have fun.

Nah I just don't have the time or patience for OC'ing anymore...

If you haven't already bought an AM2 system, you really should take a look at the new Intel Conroe. They are outperforming anything AMD has right now.

Sounds like you have your mind made up about getting DDR2-800 RAM, so get something with lower timings.

batboy said:
If you haven't already bought an AM2 system, you really should take a look at the new Intel Conroe. They are outperforming anything AMD has right now.

Sounds like you have your mind made up about getting DDR2-800 RAM, so get something with lower timings.

Well I'll never buy another intel system again...I was burned pretty bad by intell a long time ago and AMD steppedup and has been good to me and I'm happy with their performance. And I'm sure AMD will have their Conroe eating CPU sometime soon.

I've not made up my mind on the memory yet...I want something that will be fast for the system that wouldn't require tweaking.

With me it's been the other way around, I've been burnt by AMD while Intel has always been very reliable.

DDR2 is getting better and cheaper everyday. New stuff is being released all the time, especially now that AM2 will start using it. Plenty of good DDR2 available, just do your homework before spending your hard earned cash.

batboy said:
With me it's been the other way around, I've been burnt by AMD while Intel has always been very reliable.

DDR2 is getting better and cheaper everyday. New stuff is being released all the time, especially now that AM2 will start using it. Plenty of good DDR2 available, just do your homework before spending your hard earned cash.

It's always funny to see people on both ends...lol But yeah if a company burns me I usually will not touch them again for life unless I have no other choice so hopefully AMD will continue to be good to me.

Really While performance is important I don't need the leading end CPU king, just something that is fast for my needs and will last me 1-2 years till the next upgrade I'm happy...

Yeah that's why I'm hear asking what would be some good memory for a AM2 System with no OC'ing in it's future, b/c stupid me & not knowing or understanding about timings I got a good set of memory if I was going to OC but for non OC'ing I guess it actually slows my system down a bit, not that I can tell but that's what I've been told...lol

Back