• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsoft lights upgrade path to Windows Vista

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UnseenMenace

UnseenModerator
Microsoft has published the long-anticipated upgrade paths for moving PCs from old versions of Windows to Windows Vista. That's the good news.

The bad news (for most users)? You're gonna have to back up all your files and desktop settings for re-installation, along with all your PC applications, once Windows Vista is up and running.

This is the reality facing large number of business users still running Windows 2000 - 56 per cent, according to latest research. Microsoft said customers running Windows 2000 Professional are eligible for an upgrade copy to a corresponding or better edition of Windows Vista, but a "clean install" is still required.

Full Report From The Register

Vista Upgrade Planning

Its interesting that you can not upgrade xp64 to Vista :eek:

Does anyone really WANT to upgrade an existing Windows install to Vista instead of reinstalling? It's like changing mobos or videocards: sure, MS says you can simply install the new drivers and be good to go, but MS marketing and reality seem to disagree with each other as usual.

Many people want to upgrade as UnseenMenace said simply because business and even home users don't want to lose all their programs/work. Personally I will and always do a clean install, but I don't have to reinstall the programs on 2000 computers like some places will have to do.

XP is standard -- > vista hasnt got enough real new things to make me upgrade. all it has is some stupid new transparent windows stuff and tabbed browsing,,, stuff you can do on xp anyway...#

From the overclocking P.O.V its not worth the risk...stick with XP

I wouldn't do it even if vista were free!....okay maybe i would?

We will have to see... maybe come RC1 time we will see what the final offering is and if it is really worth the upgrade. After waiting for Longhorn for all these years, it would almost be worth the upgrade just to be over with it.

I'm sticking with XP on this machine if I then create a new system and then try VISTA on it and don't like it I'll put XP on it instead.

has anybody tried the Windows Vista Beta or Beta 2? I dowloaded it but am not sure if i want to install it...if i do it'll be on a separate partition and i'll just do a dual boot....but i think it would be fun to experiment with.....i got it legit from the windows site for free, although they're not offering it anymore....but i just wanna see all the eye candy and available new options etc....and see if i wanna really go to it in the future when it does come out...

If you have got a sparwe drive lying around, or a free partition, then theres no reason not to give it try. the dual boot works alright. and it is real pretty, and good fun to play with.

I'm sticking with XP, from the looks of it. Are the system requirements for Vista still stupidly high? I'm not losing performance for DX10 support (until it's more implemented than a few games) and snazzy UIs...

Vista Beta2 is aggravating to work with but I wasn't expecting too much.

RC1 should be much better and give me a better idea of what Vista is all about.

My main concern is what kind of DRM gotchas we will have to contend with. Especially with the new generation of hardware that has it built in and only needs an OS to fully enable it.

Linux has a golden opportunity to grow into every day Joe Suit/Sixpack desktop usage but there is still too much infighting and endless code forking that seems to blunt any unified progress.

BTW I've been seeing XP64 selling for $50 shipped so I think it will become the ME of the 64bit windows world.

Back