• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsoft opens DirectX 12 support for Windows 7 to Developers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
While I appreciate this move, I'm struggling to see sense in the timing. Win7 has about 4 months of support life left. Are they expecting enough of a zombie userbase remaining?

While I appreciate this move, I'm struggling to see sense in the timing. Win7 has about 4 months of support life left. Are they expecting enough of a zombie userbase remaining?
This...

Why? I don't understand how this benefits them much at all. According to steam stats, there is currently 1% of users on W7...

EDIT: Oops... sorry. There are over 20% of people still on W7... WTF?!!!

Only by virtue of hardware support. If new hardware was supported by W7 the percentage would be much higher.

^ This. I'm one of these Windows 7 users with one of my machines. If I had a choice on my new build I would of chosen Windows 7 for it because I hate everything about Windows 10.

If I had a choice on my new build I would of chosen Windows 7 for it because I hate everything about Windows 10.

That seems to be quite a large consensus. I built mine with 7 because I needed Media Center. I put together an old LGA 1155 rig for my bedroom and loaded 8.1 on it because my girlfriend likes 8.1 (She's...odd), but I found a Media Center download that works with 8 and all the bells and whistles work, I'll live with it for now. LOL

That seems to be quite a large consensus. I built mine with 7 because I needed Media Center. I put together an old LGA 1155 rig for my bedroom and loaded 8.1 on it because my girlfriend likes 8.1 (She's...odd), but I found a Media Center download that works with 8 and all the bells and whistles work, I'll live with it for now. LOL

I mean I get it that some of us are just old fogeys who hate change you know, but, my personal main reasonings for hating Windows 10 is the complete lack of respect MS has for us as consumers with all the spying + advertisement stuff and completely changing the UI for the worse. If they would of kept a Windows 7-esque UI and ditched the spying privacy invading + advertisement stuff it would of been much better and I for one would of not had an issue with it. Windows is Windows so MS needs to stop F'ing with it and just let it be what it is and keep how it functions and looks. I know I'm probably in the minority, but I am still part of a large market share and at some point Linux will have its **** together and people like me will switch over once gaming becomes fully possible on it and more developers support it which WILL hurt MS' pocketbook. :D

Only by virtue of hardware support. If new hardware was supported by W7 the percentage would be much higher.
Quite possibly!

@JCE - you can easily change 10 to look like 7... there's apps for that. Nkt sure what you are saying about advertising though. I dont see any??

If you don't turn off the setting, MS will put "suggested" apps in the start menu.

Look in the new style settings area, I think it is under start menu. I think it is called "show suggested apps" with a longer description along the lines of "occasionally show suggest apps on start menu". I'm on work LTSB at moment so it isn't there, but I'm pretty sure it is on home and pro versions.

It is on... I guess I don't catch them. Truth be told, I don't use the start menu very frequently at all. So something could be in there and I miss it I guess. But looking now, its all apps I own and tiles I setup (weather, email, etc) along with a xbox tile.

Back