• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is Microsoft about to release a Windows "kill switch"?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I beleive they are scrapping this idea after a bunch of lawsuits came their way. Not 100% on it though.

I looked and couldnt find the article where I read it.. I do recall that it said the lawsuits caused MS to cut the transmit time of the WGA from once everytime you logon to once every week or two.

They also give instructions on how to uninstall the WGA notification app. If they were going to have a kill switch for those machine that refuse to install the WGA then they wouldnt tell you how to uninstall it in the first place.

Wasn't this same article posted a week ago? Anyway WGA has never bothered me so I don't personally care to much. If your copy of WIndows is legal and it's claims it's not you have a right to be mad, though that's decent rare. I know someone who is running an illegal version of WIndows and all does is not allow him to download updates. Considering their OS is the only way they are going to stay alive I think they have the right to try and protect it. Right now all the tool does it annoy people with Legal copies because anyone trying to crack it will just not install WGA and turn of notification of it. This way though it may actually start to target people that it's supposed to be targeting.

FeuerFrei said:
Linux Rocks :attn:

Its looking like that...

Just wish the install was better....

I tried to install SUSE 10.1. which failed. Could not find the graphics card.

But when I ran the live DVD it worked fine.

I also have Knoppix live CD which worked as well. Its nice, just which the istall worked so I can run WINE.

Well the only bad thing is "we" might need to "buy" Vista...
I know alot of people who would just kill for MSDN access...

First off, although nobody wants to hear this...*pats Linux boxen on their various chassis*

Secondly, I highly doubt it. That doesn't change the fact that I aint'a gonna buy no Vista anytime soon, but I don't think Microsoft could get away with anything that false-positived and kicked a legit user offline, for the consumer powers that be would smite them badly.

Or the free market would start seeing the light--what they've missed while they've been rebooting Windows (linux).

I noticed yesterday that Windows Update no longer requires Windows Genuine Advantage on Windows 2000 (it still does Windows XP at time of this post).

What is wrong with shutting down illegal copies of any product. You can't steel peoples cars,houses,frying pans or any thing else just becaue you want it. If M/S wants to check my system with my updates, do it.

Layback Bear said:
What is wrong with shutting down illegal copies of any product. You can't steel peoples cars,houses,frying pans or any thing else just becaue you want it. If M/S wants to check my system with my updates, do it.

There were tons of people who rebooted their systems after installing a new WGA version to find that their perfectly legal copies of WinXP were considered illegal. If they shut yours off my mistake, you'd be ****ed too.

They're going to ridiculous lengths to "prevent" pirating.

/\Not really, infact right now they are doing nothing but annoying people with legal copies as their current setup is nothing anyone that can use google cannot get around in 10 minutes. They need to redo their entire setup, I think they should have the right to shut down any illegal copies, though I think they need to somehow fix their authentication system before they implement that because right now it detects lagal and illegal copies. Of course this is easier said then done. In the end though anything can be cracked, the question is in how long. When PS8CS was released it took months before a real crack was every made mainstream, and even when it was it was so hard to implement a lot of people just skiped it. Then of course they released a new version which started it all over again. Of course this is easier for something like Adobe to do as they do not serve nearly as large of a crowd and thus implementing authentication based on databases rather then algorithm based type system is much easier.

Back