• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My computer hates other computers.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wwing49

Even after a fresh install, my computer will not talk to other computers on the network. All are in MSHOME all have File and Printer Sharing ON, and all have the firewall and all anti-vir OFF. I can see the computers in "View Workgroup Computers" but I cannot access them because I "Do not have the necessary permissions." Any ideas how to fix this?

Setup- My Desktop> WRT54G(Latest Firmware) -))))) Laptop now on wireless (Same on hardwire)

I have the same problems on other networks with different computers trying to talk to this desktop. I use XP Pro with all updates.

Last edited:
Are you sure you are "hardware compatible"? Although I am not completely network smart, some I have helped out came to find that they had lots of hardware that didn't like to play well together.

Are you using simple file sharing?
Do you have any folders shared out on the PC?

Simple File Sharing - Yes
Folders shared - Many

I know it is configured at least somewhat correctly because I can go to a lan and join the lan servers no problem. Sometimes I can even see the other computers in the workgroup but I cant access them.

Have you tried running the Network Setup Wizard on each of the computers? Can you see the other computers in Windows Explorer (My Network Places => Microsoft Windows Network => MSHOME)? Sometimes, for whatever reason, I've had to re-run the Network Setup Wizard because something gets screwed up in my home network and I can't connect (even though the other computers still show up in "My Network Places"). I suggest trying the Wizard even if you think it won't work.

KillrBuckeye said:
I suggest trying the Wizard even if you think it won't work.

Seconded. I did this just a week ago and it worked. Make sure they all are using the same workgroup name, too.

You might wanna check if other computers have their guest accounts disabled and how your computer actually authenticates on the network, i.e. as a computer or a guest (go to your active LAN connection properties and select the "Authentication" tab).

Well I dont know what fixed it or if it is fully fixed but I have it working now. I think it was a protocol I installed but it could have been one of the many other things i tried. Thank you for you help everyone!

Back