• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5W DH RAID - Which one

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Das kobold

Registered
I just set up my P5W DH to install Windows ahead of getting my E6600 next week. I am using a Pentium D 805 for now. My question is: Which onboard RAID controller is better? I would naturally assume that is the Intel but has anyone heard anything good about the Jmicron controller? I have never heard of them before.

One issue I had last night was that I had the 502 bios on the board when I booted it up and I was getting constant lockups at the post screen or in the bios. If I could get it too boot at all sometimes. I installed the 801 bios and it fixed all those issues.

I used the yellow sata ports but used the intel matrix controller. I would also like some feedback about this topic.

I am running 2 36 gig Raptors in RAID 0 and 1 250gb SATA as extra storage.

i think they both support raid 0 .... why not try them both for us and post some benchie #'s?

I always run run 1 or 5 on my working rigs, and prefer safety over speed so i have never even run a raid 0 config. Of course most of my rigs are foldiers so 1 smalll sata drive is all they get.

I haven't looked but is there anything over in the storage forum on this?

At some point i will pick one of my new rigs to replace my sig rig (whichs running raid 1) and run raid 5 on it when i make it my new main work rig.

I think if you want to boot off the Raid0, put them on the intel matrix controller. At least, that's what I did, and i think that's what the manual says.

As far as performance, It's hard to say but the EZ Raid connectors are meant for no f6 raid setup (no drivers needed)

Stilletto said:
As far as performance, It's hard to say but the EZ Raid connectors are meant for no f6 raid setup (no drivers needed)

Acutally, I put 2 250gb on the ezraid, and winxp64 install couldn't detect it unless i supplied the intel matrix driver.

AFAIK, the only benefit of ezraid is there is no configuration necessary. The drawback is it's a jumper setting.

i saw one post that said the Jmicron controller had a better burst speed with raid 0 that the intel...i think 260 versus 205!

Is the Jmicron still a hardware raid controller as opposed to software? The manual seems to make it sound like it's software.

also, are there any jumper adjustments required for either the intel or jmicron? The manual doesn't mention jumpers at all.

mr. roboto said:
Is the Jmicron still a hardware raid controller as opposed to software? The manual seems to make it sound like it's software.

also, are there any jumper adjustments required for either the intel or jmicron? The manual doesn't mention jumpers at all.

If there's a chip on the board, it's hardware. Otherwise, that would be a really crappy chip.

The manual mentions two jumpers, because there's only two jumpers: the CMOS reset and the EZ RAID. Everything else is jumperless. You configure them at bootup.

So if i'm not using ezraid, i dont need a jumper then?

Quite often, all this new "EZ" crap is too complicated, since i'm used to doing it the old fashioned way.

I'll probably just use the intel one, i mean, how much of a difference can there be between the 2? And i haven't really tried to look for a controller chip on the mobo, so no comment there.

dogbert_2001 said:
Acutally, I put 2 250gb on the ezraid, and winxp64 install couldn't detect it unless i supplied the intel matrix driver.

AFAIK, the only benefit of ezraid is there is no configuration necessary. The drawback is it's a jumper setting.

You may want to make sure that the jumpers are configured for raid. There should be no 3rd party driver to install with these ports.

Leave the jumpers where they are at default. The Intel ICH7 controller is the best on the board. The yellow plugs are going to connect to ICH7 if the jumper is left alone. So for RAID use the 3 ports near the SB. If a 4th plug is needed I'm almost positive the yellow connectors work onto ICH7...

Back