• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What are some good oc'ing Conroe motherboards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ebill_03

Registered
My cousin's planning on building a Conroe system and he has no idea what motherboard to get. I convinced him into Oc'ing that thing so that's a priority, he doesn't want to spend that much on a mobo so the budgets about $150. I have been strictly building AMD systems so I don't know much about intel mobo's.

Also is this ram going to hold us back any?

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4815800

frankly, boards differ by wide margins because of the buyer's expectations.

in order to get the highest overclock, you will need to be ready to spend $220 and upwards....BUT...you can take a gamble on the plain vanilla Asus P5B (no deluxe) or the Gigabutt DS3 (last designation numbers)...both are Intel P965x chipset boards...those two boards are around $150.

if you use an E6300 or E6400, you might make 350 FSB...if you are lucky, you might get to 370 with a good cooling solution, good memory and so forth!

yes the vista is ddr and ddr2 as will apg and pci-e. For the price you get what you pay for basics not much ocing gauntam here got i think it was 300fsb oc out of it. right now the best ocing mobo for c2d is the gigabyte DS3, paired with the right ram here comes 450fsb. the ram you selected would be fine but know this that the boards default ddr2 voltage is 1.8v and does not work with ram needing 2v+. i would suggest to you the corsair 1gigx2 6400-c4 kit, as they boot just find in my ab9 with 1.8v.

the c4 corsair stuff needs 2.1v

kingston has 1.8 or 1.9 in the PC6400.

i have seen to many posts about the DS3 being a stinko board....go over to xtremesystems.org to read up all the issues...some success stoies but a lot of unhappy people too!!!

Ace-a-Rue said:
the c4 corsair stuff needs 2.1v

kingston has 1.8 or 1.9 in the PC6400.

i have seen to many posts about the DS3 being a stinko board....go over to xtremesystems.org to read up all the issues...some success stoies but a lot of unhappy people too!!!
try rereading my post above....

what's to read...you told him to consider corsiar 6400 c4 which is 2.1 and boots fine in your ABIT ab9...can't mix apples with oranges...the two boards are different manufacturers with different specs for memory...

the DS3 has this problem of wanting to boot up at 1.8v and if the memory needs 2.1...there's a good chance it won't post....i think gigabutt is the one board that has this problem.

Ace-a-Rue said:
what's to read...you told him to consider corsiar 6400 c4 which is 2.1 and boots fine in your ABIT ab9...can't mix apples with oranges...the two boards are different manufacturers with different specs for memory...

the DS3 has this problem of wanting to boot up at 1.8v and if the memory needs 2.1...there's a good chance it won't post....i think gigabutt is the one board that has this problem.
ds3 and ab9 have same chipset its not apples to oranges.. this isnt a ati board to intel or nv. think what you will, if you want to spend the money to have "extra" ram that will run 1.8v then go ahead.... not my money, just tring to help..

I originally considered the DS3 as the mobo to get but I also heard about the horrible problems people have had with it. Then I heard about a new bios or revision fixing some of the big ones...

All this stuff is pretty confusing. So far I am not seeing why people say Intel's motherboards are better than AMD's.

at one time intel was the simplest design and simplest to make operational...those were the days when AMD had support of VIA, ALI and early NVIDIA chipsets...everything has seemed to change now with this latest CPU architectural re-design.

it seems Intel is going through a re-affirmation program of finding its new niche in mainstream computers....look what AMD has DONE!:D

Evilsizer said:
ds3 and ab9 have same chipset its not apples to oranges.. this isnt a ati board to intel or nv. think what you will, if you want to spend the money to have "extra" ram that will run 1.8v then go ahead.... not my money, just tring to help..

hey, be cool...i am not trying to upset you...i am just adding my 2 cents to what i know to be a problem, at the moment.

ordinarily, your assumptions would be close to 98-99% correct...but not now with this new CPU design and the mast amount of motherboards suffering from very p*ss-poor bioses...there are NO guarantees, at the moment, that DDR II memory can be transported from one mobo maker to another...the only way you can know is to ask...or...see a guys rig signature to ascertain that the memory is working on that particular mobo...now, i will say go to Corsair's website and do a compatibility check for the motherboard...if there are none listed, email them for an answer....this is one of the best ways to know with these new motherboards.

i don't think OCZ has such a tool at their website...Corsair does actively tests their memory on a lot of mobo's...so...i would feel more comfortable with them over OCZ.

I'm happy with my DS3. It came with the F3 BIOS and my G.SKILL RAM which is rated at 1.9-2.0v had no problem posting at 1.8v. I met my goal of a 333FSB OC, and am working on getting to 370.

Ace-a-Rue said:
hey, be cool...i am not trying to upset you...i am just adding my 2 cents to what i know to be a problem, at the moment.

ordinarily, your assumptions would be close to 98-99% correct...but not now with this new CPU design and the mast amount of motherboards suffering from very p*ss-poor bioses...there are NO guarantees, at the moment, that DDR II memory can be transported from one mobo maker to another...the only way you can know is to ask...or...see a guys rig signature to ascertain that the memory is working on that particular mobo...now, i will say go to Corsair's website and do a compatibility check for the motherboard...if there are none listed, email them for an answer....this is one of the best ways to know with these new motherboards.

i don't think OCZ has such a tool at their website...Corsair does actively tests their memory on a lot of mobo's...so...i would feel more comfortable with them over OCZ.

no no i am cool, just that with all the threads over at xs i forgot about the some of the bugs still lingering in the ds3. with that said i have come to the conclusion that ds3 on boot trys to set the ram to the specced speeds. where the ab9 sets it to say 533/667 for safty reasons and then allows you to set the currect speeds and voltage. we may need to ask that they auto start boards, no matter with what ram to safty speeds. Then we simply go in and change the speeds to spec of the ram.
while i am not able to test the c4's to there spec speed in my lg-81 before getting my conroe the c4's ran just fine with 2.1v @667 4-4-4-12. tring that high a voltage now with the ab9 gives errors. like you said it the bios with problems not the ram.

Back