• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is RAM cheap yet?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

E_tron

I went online yesterday to buy two of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145026

They match my current module that i bought exactly 3 years ago for about $35 dollars more than current prices.

I know RAM prices fluctuate, but is Mr. Moore taking a nap these days? Did the Infineon goons throw him off a bridge with concrete blocks on his feet? Does anybody know when I can find him, so i can buy some DDR ram... hopefully before i buy a new computer sometime next year?

Good observation. A three year old video card or CPU would be highly discounted by now. The RAM manufacturers are gouging.

at the rates ram is going, before someone agrees/disagrees with that it might go down to $30 for 512 megs. ofcourse, its also likely to hit $70, but lets hope that doesnt happen.

DDR is actually going up and wil continue to. With DDR2 taking main stage older memory will only get more expensive, unfortunately. At least until manufacturers stop making it and need to unload all there out of date stock.

Yeah, its just like what happened with SDRAM. When DDR was introduced and people started seriously moving to it, supply boomed and they had to drop the prices through the floor and sell it at a loss. Then the supply caught up with demand and continued to sink lower until you see the high prices for SDRAM that we do today. Same thing will happen to DDR1.

Edit: Oh yeah and its pretty cheap when you look at this: In late 1995/early 1996 my mom bought two 32MB SIMMs for her Quadra 650. They cost $600 each. Her first 2GB HD in 1994 cost her $1500 and that was before she bought the external case ($200).

Back