• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

65nm amd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
For that matter has Intel ever gotten it right on the first try either? It would be very hard to believe, and if they did I would do a check up on their labs. I bet they have the first couple of tries buried in there somewhere.

Intel is pretty much constantly the first one world wide using a newer, smaller process. Sometimes there are snags (90nm P4), but then it's not just intel that has problems but the industry as a whole with that process shrink.

Manufacturing tech is Intels very strong point. Their problem is CPU design, which is at best mediocre

klingens said:
Intel is pretty much constantly the first one world wide using a newer, smaller process. Sometimes there are snags (90nm P4), but then it's not just intel that has problems but the industry as a whole with that process shrink.

Manufacturing tech is Intels very strong point. Their problem is CPU design, which is at best mediocre

I don't consider Core2 'mediocre' by any sense of the word. :eek:

I think Intel was shaken up by the AMD success. They were on a tried and true course for a long time... do that same thing with small upgrade changes to the core technology. Once AMD started to clobber them, I think they decided to get outside their box.

Intel has much greater resources than AMD. I'm not surprised when Intel beats AMD but rather I'm shocked when they lose to AMD. AMD is the little guy who has to work smarter, not harder.

Linux_Box said:
I think Intel was shaken up by the AMD success. They were on a tried and true course for a long time... do that same thing with small upgrade changes to the core technology. Once AMD started to clobber them, I think they decided to get outside their box.

Intel has much greater resources than AMD. I'm not surprised when Intel beats AMD but rather I'm shocked when they lose to AMD. AMD is the little guy who has to work smarter, not harder.
I have to agree with you. People forget the incredible difference in the size and resources of these companies. AMD has done a lot with limited resources. I hope they can continue to do it as it gives Intel a great kick in the pants and everybody is better off in the long run.

Last edited:
rseven said:
I have to agree with you. People forget the incredible difference in the size and resources of these companies. AMD has done a lot with which to work. I hope they can continue to do it as it gives Intel a great kick in the pants and everybody is better off in the long run.

Definitely, competition is always a good thing in this industry. :beer: Can't wait to see what AMDs answer will be for the Core 2 Duo.

just remember that their answer might not come in near the form that we as enthusiasts would want. Secondly I am still very surprised at how well the current amd procs do up against a brandnew architecure from the intel giant. I mean lets get realistic these procs have been out for a few years (maybe not in the same overclockable form) and they lose to core 2 duo but not by years worth. I mean come on if you look at how fast things have progressed this disparity between amd and intel is just a hiccup for the moment. Give progress and technology a chance to work. By the way has anyone else heard that the new next 65nm powerpc chips are supposed to maybe do 5ghz?

IAmMoen said:
just remember that their answer might not come in near the form that we as enthusiasts would want. Secondly I am still very surprised at how well the current amd procs do up against a brandnew architecure from the intel giant. I mean lets get realistic these procs have been out for a few years (maybe not in the same overclockable form) and they lose to core 2 duo but not by years worth. I mean come on if you look at how fast things have progressed this disparity between amd and intel is just a hiccup for the moment. Give progress and technology a chance to work. By the way has anyone else heard that the new next 65nm powerpc chips are supposed to maybe do 5ghz?

Yes but the performance jumps between generations has been in decline, same goes for graphics cards, which is why Sli and Crossfire were introduced in the first place, and also why we now have dual core processors.

well the main reason for that is we are reaching the limit of silcone. But an just because that stops doesn't mean that new architectures cant revolutionize something. Intel finally dropped netburst and we saw huge performance gains. When AMD finally makes a new architecture I think we will see similar gains. Hopefully it will be a good couple years.

IAmMoen said:
well the main reason for that is we are reaching the limit of silcone. But an just because that stops doesn't mean that new architectures cant revolutionize something. Intel finally dropped netburst and we saw huge performance gains. When AMD finally makes a new architecture I think we will see similar gains. Hopefully it will be a good couple years.

True, although I don't think it's the limit of silicone but rather the manufacturing process with the material. I heard about those PowerPC chips, be interesting to see if they do reach that speed. There are faster and faster transistors being developed and die shrinks every few years or less, which should hopefully herald larger performance jumps to come, however software programmers will have to start shifting everything to at least use dual cores if not quad within the next 5-10 years imo. :)

smp will be the wave of the future. Until the finally get quantum computing working. Granted that wont be good for games but all the super computers to date will be horribly obsolete.

My mechanically operated abacus only take up an entire warehouse. An i tell you, she's the fastest there is. She'll calculate two 9 digit numbers in just 60 seconds!!

I feel that the immediate answer by AMD will be features like 2 cores at different speeds and voltages before they try to retake the performance lead. They are also working on the share in servers which is good. Not so many years ago there was no such thing as an AMD based server now they are becomming more of an option. Personally I say keep your C2D I don't want it. I really think AMD has something more long term up their sleeve and the 65nm and AM2 is just something to hold them over. They can't buy ATi and not start thinking how they can improve both processes (CPU and GPU) and integrate the two.

Makes me proud, it does. Just tonight I finally tossed my first computer, from 1992, in the trash to go out tomorrow.

Monster chip back in the day:
AM386(TM) DX/DXL-40
AM08386DXL-40
AM08386DX-40
D 247LKLW

I've still got my 100MHz setup, but have sold the AthlonXP, and 754 setups in between now and then.

I'm looking forward to see what is down the road.

Back