• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Subwoofer won't work w/ Firefox audio

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PRIVATEpastry

I recently built a sub enclosure for my computer. I want to say first that it works great and sounds wonderful when I'm listening to music on WinAmp or when I'm watching a DVD on WinDVD.

When I try and listen to music on Firefox or IE (i.e. Myspace music), the sub has no output at all. It seems that there should be a plugin for Firefox that I could install, or maybe a driver for my mobo sound (yeah, I'm still using integrated) that I could install.

If anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated!

Well, that doesn't really make any sense, cause all your windows apps should access the sound card basically the same way. Firefox doesn't have special card drivers, plug-ins, or etc that should effect it.

What's your audio setup? 2.1? 5.1? Does no site music work firefox? Have you tried other sites? Have you tried those sites in IE?

I have a 2.1 setup. The sub works on select videos that I watch on sites, but it is only a certain type of player. I've tried the sites on IE, too.

sephiroth_749 said:
if you have some sort of software that goes with your sound card or intergrated see if there is anything in the program that you can change.
I've already fiddled with just about every option it has. Thats what I'm thinking it has to be, though. Something with the drivers/software... :-/

Firefox doesn't do anything special(without extensions). Are you using the default levels set at 0 in other software?

if it doesn't work on firefox for an example, try internet explorer maybe you might have luck im not really sure what your asking.

I'm not even sure what to make of this. If you just have a single stereo cable plugged into the back of your computer you're only getting 2-channel stereo sound. The computer doesn't do anything with the sub, it doesn't even know it is there. The actually speaker system will handle the sub output.

The only difference would be if you had a 5.1 channel system. The computer would then output 6 seperate channels, including the sub.

The only thing I can think of is that some sites/videos filter out low frequencies that would normally go to your sub and are being cut off by your speaker system. Not too sure though...

Thanks for the input guys. I noticed that the windows sounds (i.e. logon sound, alert sounds) do not have subwoofer output either.

Bios24, I'm using onboard sound (might be part of the problem) that has 6 channel output. I have a 3.5mm to 2-channel rca cable running from the "subwoofer/center channel output" on the computer to the amp.

It seems like the only time I hear the sub is when listening to music on Winamp or when I am watching DVDs.

Maybe look for some software or soundcard that will play standard stereo or mono files over all of your channels.

Back