• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What coolant mixture?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyreal

I'm building a new watercooling system and I'd like to know what the best coolant mixture would be.

Swiftech Storm CPU Water Block S478/S604-604/LGA775/S754/S939/S940 3/8IN
Swiftech MCP655 12V Industrial Water Cooling Pump 1/2IN Barbs
HW Labs Black Ice GT Stealth 240 Dual 120MM Water Cooling Radiator Black 1/2IN Barbs
Masterkleer Pvc Tubing 7/16IN ID 5/9IN OD 10 Feet
Danger Den Delirin Fillport W/ Wrench
Polypropylene "T" 1/2IN Barbs
Swiftech MCB-120 "RADBOX" Revision 2 Black

I was thinking of using Hydrx but I read that it clogs up the storm's impingment jets. Can I use zerex instead? will it be enough to satisfy my loop. and what should the solution be?

I have taken a strong liking to Pentosin, the blue G11 version. It won't clog and is a very nice color. I do not recommend the Hydrex. You can go to a VW or Audi dealer and buy a gallon but it is like $25 or so. Or, you can get 2 or 4 oz here for pretty cheap: http://www.petrastechshop.com/wacoac.html But yes, Zerex should be fine too.

Thanks Nikhsub.
I'm going to the store today to place an order for my components. Maybe I'll go down to the hardware store and see if I can find Pentosin or Zerex. By the way, which Zerex do I use. I was looking at their site and there are quite a few of them.

Good ole 90/10 distilled/antifreeze for me. OH...and a drop or two of rubbing alcohol.'

Edit: Opps...I mean iodine. Alcohol works also...but iodine is the better choice, thanks Captain Slug!

Last edited:
(Clanger)(DOA) said:
ive been useing this stuff called Hyper lube (dropped temps almost 5c).. and a oz. or two of isopurple every month or soo.
I won't comment on the temp drop, but I used to use hy-per lube too. Only problem is it foams like the devil.

ziggo0 said:
Good ole 90/10 distilled/antifreeze for me. OH...and a drop or two of rubbing alcohol.

Is the alcohol supposed to act like a de-algae component/preventer? Just curious b/c I haven't put my water cooler together yet. Thanks.

Tyrinon said:
Is the alcohol supposed to act like a de-algae component/preventer? Just curious b/c I haven't put my water cooler together yet. Thanks.

yes it kills stuff... your water will go foggy milky and icky, stuff will grow in your loop.

double post. ops sry.

Tyrinon said:

Yes

(Clanger)(DOA) said:
yes it kills stuff... your water will go foggy milky and icky, stuff will grow in your loop.

I've never had that happened and used the same loop for 6 months...including UV Dye...so....

3 drops of iodine will be much more powerful biocide than alcohol and won't include the risk of degrading certain plastics in your loop.

(Clanger)(DOA) said:
Yeah it will only really happen if you let the loop sit with the pump off for a few days in direct sunlight.... :D:bang head

That my friend changes things around. I had a brain fart on my post above, I used alcohol at first but once I became more expereienced in the ways of the WC I started using iodine.

Captain Slug said:
3 drops of iodine will be much more powerful biocide than alcohol and won't include the risk of degrading certain plastics in your loop.

I used that in my revised loop. Meant to put that instead of alcohol :)

Back