• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

H100 v Air v Custom Water loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah, mine died after less than 3 months use. System powered up but I noticed things were too quiet. Popped the side and the unit had completely failed. No pump or fans. Needless to say I turned my system of ASAP.

If you're worried then check out the Phanteks PH-TC14PE, $79.99 after rebate. Just as with the Noctua its based off, make sure your RAM doesn't have high heat spreaders or you're going to run into issues.

I am wondering if anyone has data on CM's TC-812
they promised to be better than NH-D14.. but so far, i can't find any good test to show it's results.

Hmm i guess ive got another 2 months to before i should buy a back up...just incase, rather be ready for the inevitable, than responding to a forseen tragedy

If you want a cheap backup that will perform decently, get a Hyper 212+ for around $30. It can handle a 200 watt heatload, especially if you use the 2 fans that come with the H100 if it dies on you.

Alright sounds good.

mjw21a whats your temps underload, looks like we have similar builds interested in seeing what DH-D14 can do with your 8120 at 4ghz

61C load temps, thats after telling CoreTemp to whack on 20C to what it usually reports. No way I can believe sub ambient temps. I'd not bother with the NH-D14 anymore though as Phanteks have a better performing knockoff at a better price point: $79.99 after rebate for the Phanteks PH-TC14PE

agree with the Phanteks PH-TC14PE
it is the new best for 2012 in Air cooling.

NH-D14 is like.. 2011 Air champ only.

Yup, and now it loses on value too. The Phanteks can be had for less money.

I have an NH-D14, I wouldnt call it much of a champ.. I thought my old ultra120 extreme was better. If the knock off is better, I would save some bux and go with that :thup:

Im with diaz if you dont want to spend on a full on loop :thup:

^^^Lol, not really an issue. What I find more annoying is the additional weight a Noctua adds to my already extremely heavy computer.... Ah well, good for building up muscles I guess.....

Nope. It bolts through to the metal retention bracket on the other side of the mobo. It's a well designed cooler.

P9x79 Deluxe and 3960x overclocking

I got a Corsair H100 and I cannot go past 4.7GHz with 1.41V set in BIOS without reaching 80°C+ using H100 on my 3960x and P9x79 Deluxe motherboard.
The memory is 4x4GB 2133MHz Corsair GT Dominator.

I am not happy with it. You think I must go custom loop? I got a HAF-X case and I would like to get stable 4.8GHz@~1.45V without reaching 75°C peak maximum core temp. (70°C peak would be better...)

Is it possible with a custom loop?
Can you suggest some parts? (Pump, radiator, CPU Block, tubing...)

Are you serious? Thats a 6 core chip with a massive heat output. Air coolers wouldn't even handle it. Closed loops like the H100 perform better than high end air but not significantly so.

Back