• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Missing Folder Options

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

340Duster

I hate to say, but I didn't have time to search to see if this has been covered, but going out on a limb its kind of odd... anyways the Folder Options menu button in Windows Explorer and the Control Panel have disapeard... I have no way of getting to this at all... any help? Thanks Jeff.

Start | Run | Type regedit, and click OK | Expand the following branch in the registry...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER | Software | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | Policies | Explorer

If the NofolderOptions DWORD Value is absent from the RH pane, right click in the RH pane and select New --> DWORD Value | Give the new Value the name... NoFolderOptions | The default Value data will be 0x00000000 | If you right click the new Value and select "Modify", the Value data" field in the "Edit DWORD Value" dialog that opens will contain a value of 0. Next expand this branch...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER | Software | Policies | Microsoft | Internet Explorer | Restrictions

Follow my instructions above for creating a new DWORD Value (only if the Value isn't already present, and if it is... modify it accordingly). The new Value should have the following name... NoBrowserOptions ...(also with a Value of 0x00000000, and 0 in the Value data field of the "Edit DWORD Value" dialog). You'll need to reboot for the changes to take effect. You could instead just copy the following, and paste it into Notepad... then save it with a *.reg extension, and then just double click it to merge it into your registry.

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoFolderOptions"=dword:0000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions]
"NoBrowserOptions"=dword:00000000

Last edited:
Hey Jeff,

Try this - View > Toolbars > Customize. There you can add the Folder Options back into the list on the right. Not sure about Control Panel, I don't have that in my available list. You should be able to see it with the folder tree open on the left under My Computer.

Back