• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some product recommendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JFoxall

Registered
Hi everyone,

I've been following water cooling for years - reading articles and product reviews, etc., so I'm very familiar with the process and the concepts, I've just never pulled the trigger and water cooled a machine. I'm now ready to do that, and I'm boggled by the dizzying array of products out there. I'm hoping someone here can give me a personal recommendation for a product or two.

In an effort to follow the rules and avoid a random rant about the Search feature :), I'm answering the questions of the sticky of how to ask basic questions:

* List why you want to watercool. Is it noise, preformance, abit of both.

My first priority is noise. I have a home studio that I record in. I would like my machine to be as quiet as possible (within reason). I used to overclock a lot but lately I just push my machines a little bit. Since I'm a gamer and a software developer, I would like to squeeze as much performance out of my system I can once water cooled.

* List your budget. From small to large, watercooling parts can be selected to fit your budget.

I could spend around $300-$400 for the right solution.

* List what tools you have or have access and how profficient you are with them.

I'm very familiar with building machines, using tools, dremels, etc. However, I am also very busy and a tad lazy, so I'm not interested in getting into too much case modding these days. :)

* List what kind of encloser (case) you have. And whether you are willing to cut it up.

I have a large rack-mount enclosure. It's made of some pretty tough steel and I would rather not mess with cutting it, but I am open to the idea if the results are worth the effort.

* List what computer parts you have (basics like CPU, motherboard) or will be getting for your watercooled monster.

I have a 3.4 GHZ Pentium 4 (I think it's a Prescott but not sure), 2 GIGs of RAM, and I just ordered a Sapphire x1950Pro AGP that I would like to water cool in addition to the CPU.

I think that about covers it. If there are other specific questions, please let me know and I'll get you answers.

Thanks guys! I really look forward to your advice! :)

James

* List why you want to watercool. Is it noise, preformance, abit of both.
Both and the cool effects you can get from it. UV lighing and glowing and what not.

* List your budget. From small to large, watercooling parts can be selected to fit your budget.
Didn't really have one.

* List what tools you have or have access and how profficient you are with them.
You mean screw drivers and what not? I have and have acces to everything to build a new tower from scratch.

* List what kind of encloser (case) you have. And whether you are willing to cut it up.
Thermaltake LCS. Already cut it up, but I just dumped there w/c setup and went with a pieced together kit. here is the link to the build: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=493077

* List what computer parts you have (basics like CPU, motherboard) or will be getting for your watercooled monster.
AMD 64 4800+ X2, Corsair xms ddr 400 4gigs, Asus A8N32sli dlx, EVGA 7950 GX2.

If it were I, I would look at the swiftech blocks, as rig rider mentioned. An apogee and a MCW 55 (which I think you will be just as happy with as the MCW 60) would set you back about $115.

I'm a big heatercore fan, and I think that a Bonneville core would serve you quite well. You can find them at rockauto.com for $23 (there it is actually a Caprice w/o AC heatercore pre-1990). A dual 120mm radiator is more than enough for your setup, so I would save money and use one of them instead of a 3x120 rad. For example, I cool an A64 and 2 6800gs cards with a 1x120 core and am very happy with my temperatures.

As for a pump, you can either use one that runs off the 12v of your power supply, or get a pond pump that is plugged in separately. I prefer the latter, but it seems that I am one of the few that goes that way these days. For that I would recommend a Danner Mag3 pump. It performs about as well as a MCP655 from swiftech for about $50 online. The pump rig rider recommends above would be a very fine solution if you want a 12v pump, and most people here would say to go that way.

Some Tygon or masterkleer tubing, a few hose barbs from Home Depot, 4 low speed 120mm fans and some wormdrive hose clamps and you will be set. This setup would run you about $200 all told, and I believe you will be very happy with the performance.

Good luck and have fun!

Back