• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newb Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ShauNotDeaD

Registered
I built my rig custom a while back and had no problems running stock. I'm not overclocking yet (waiting for water cooling) so I'm just trying to get things stable. I have an Asus A8V-E Deluxe and 2 OCZ 512mb pc3200 400Mhz sticks of memory. It's been running fine set up in dual channel mode (memory slots 1 and 3).

Here's the OCZ memory I have:
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr_pc_3200_value_series-cas_2_5_

I just got two Ultra 512mb pc3200 300Mhz in the mail:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=586829

I put it in and my computer would beep at me a few times (or not beep sometimes) and never get to the Asus startup screen, no matter what slots I put the sticks in. My computer runs okay if I use only the OCZ sticks or only the Ultra sticks, with my BIOS settings: Chipset -> DRAM configuration -> CAS setting on Auto. Furthermore the BIOS shows the times 3-4-4-8 for the Ultra and 2.5-4-4-8 for the OCZ, as it should.

But when they are all installed, no go. I tried changing Chipset -> DRAM configuration -> CAS setting to Manual (as instructed by Asus tech) and setting it to 3-4-4-8. Then my computer would not boot at all, and I had to clear CMOS manually (battery removal).

What gives? Is there an option I'm missing, or some dual channel, single channel problem? or what?

Side Note: I don't think that Asus C.P.R. (CPU Parameter Recall) works very well.

Thanks in advance,

when you run dual channel it has to be the same ram and your trying to run 2 different sets of ram and they both probably run at different timings so the mobo dont like it

Single/Dual

So can I run them all single channel, or would that degrade performance significantly? I am doubling the RAM after all so I figured it would be better. Or should I just sell the RAM to a friend and buy two more OCZ sticks like the ones I have?

Last edited:
Back