• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram not showing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WhitehawkEQ

Premium Member
I have a X99 quad channel MB and I have 4 sticks of 8GB ram in 4 of the 8 sockets but only 3 sticks of ram are seen. I'm missing DIMM_C1, ether the socket is bad, CPU socket or MB is bad.

rammap.jpg

x99s.jpg

Last edited:
Yup. Start playing ram roulette and test to confirm. Also check the pins in the socket. Hopefully it's just slightly bent enough to cause a problem.

Yup. Start playing ram roulette and test to confirm. Also check the pins in the socket. Hopefully it's just slightly bent enough to cause a problem.
The ram is fine, I swaped out with 2nd set of ram and still same problem, I will be looking at the socket. Maybe a unsoldered pin on the socket or bent pin, if I have to I'll take the CPU out and check those pins as well. :) ether way it's going to be work I don't want to do :(

The ram is fine, I swaped out with 2nd set of ram and still same problem, I will be looking at the socket. Maybe a unsoldered pin on the socket or bent pin, if I have to I'll take the CPU out and check those pins as well. :) ether way it's going to be work I don't want to do :(
I know the feeling. I'm completely watercooled and it's a real pain in the arse swapping boards. You remember I was chasing down a gaming isssue with my rig swapping each dam part out.

So "Jerst git 'er done!" ;)

Also clean the back of the cpu :cool: I want to say it’s the MB (memory slot) as I had a x99 that had a some bent pins. The bent pins knocked out 6 of the 8 memory slots. Only the far left and the 2nd slot on the right worked :-(

The same issue is with X79, X99 and X299 motherboards (X299 not so often). It's usually C1 or B1 slot that doesn't and it's a CPU or memory slot fault. Sometimes is required a higher voltage (VDIMM, or SA).
Clean the CPU pads with some alcohol and install it again. If it won't work then play with RAM. If it won't work then you can't make much more.
Like MaddMutt suggested, it can be also an issue with socket pins. For some reason pins can slightly bend (from the socket installation pressure I assume) even when the CPU was installed once and never removed. I had that on at least two motherboards. Sadly, one of them is EVGX X299 Dark.

Thanks but I already have all that planed out :thup: (check for bent pins, clean any dust or any junk that gets in socket and such) :)

Update: The MB and RAM is ok, turned out the ram socket had a small amount of play in it and I took the ram out and reinserted it and now have 32GB instead of 24GB

Back