• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Haven't cleaned my water setup since I installed it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whozyodaddy

Since installing and building my computer two years ago, I haven't done anything to my water setup. I've been too lazy. Partly because I have no drain/valve/t-hose whatever so I have to just unclamp a tube from one of my blocks and manually drain the whole thing. Should I first dismount all my blocks and reservoir and try to take the whole thing out of the case, then drain it? Or what? It's been filled with the Hydrx and Distilled water.

If you want to get all that cleaned out I would disconnect it from your computer completely. I know I wouldnt try and drain my water anywhere near my hardware. The thought of spilling water on my video card again just horrifies me. I usually soak my blocks in vinegar to clean them out.

I wouldn't go through the hassle of getting any components wet trying to drain. If pulling of a hose could result in that, take out whatever you need to and then drain. You are going to need to take it all out anyway to clean everything out properly and scrub/soak it all and/or make any upgrades if you are going to. BTW, DOW Scrubbing Bubbles works great on the insides of a 6002 block. I have used it several times and it gets any gook out very quickly.

I would also suggest replacing the tubing since it has been 2 years while you are at it.

Two years is a long time... how dirty is it? Can we have some pics?

Were there any additives to the loop eg antifreze iodine etc?

Are you cleaning it because you noticed an increase in temps or because you are upgrading?

I used the Hydrx additive with distilled water.

My temps have gotten a little higher but I believe that is due to the room temperature.

I don't plan on doing any upgrades for a while. I just wanted my PC to be in good condition.

Can I just drain what is in the loop now, run a loop for a couple hours of some type of cleaner, then put it back with the normal additives? Or is replacing tubing a must?

I haven't opened my case up and examined it yet, so I am unaware of how dirty it is. Through the side panel though it doesn't look bad, still shows the green of the HydrX.

To my knowledge there aren't any cleaners you could run in the loop for a while. Mostly due to the fact the pumps aren't made for it. Tubing is pretty cheap so I would just go ahead and replace it all.

inkfx said:
To my knowledge there aren't any cleaners you could run in the loop for a while. Mostly due to the fact the pumps aren't made for it. Tubing is pretty cheap so I would just go ahead and replace it all.
The impellers used in our pumps could not stand up to the harsh chemicals needed. If your system had a bronze or stainless impeller well then maybe but what it would do to the acrylic or Acetal is probably not good.

Get a shotgun cleaning kit for tubing, and the aforementioned tip about vinegar is a good one. But they are right, after 2 years most tubing will start to sag and will have warped into less that circular shapes :rolleyes:

If the tubes are not cracking or leaking I probably would not replace them I would just try to clean them.

You are going to be hard pressed to get your parts clean just by rinsing in place. For instance, your rad needs good, hot, soapy water to get out any gook. And if you are going to take anything apart, spend the $10 and replace the tubing.

Back