• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats going on with my icons - registry corrupt?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dAvies.lOcker

I booted my computed the other day to find that my icons on Win XP Pro (SP2) were all "shifted" and displayed two icons in one. Its easier to show than describe so have a look at the pic below.

What has caused this and how can it be fixed?

ta

icons.jpg

Hahaha, wow, never seen this happen before... but yeah, must be a registry issue where some variables were altered.. haven't a clue how it happened, nor how to correct it though. It's really quite humorous... and really I think you're the only person to have ever had this issue.... hah

Oh oh oh, I know this one!!! I had problems like this, give me a second to remember :beer:

EDIT: Go to:

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Application Data

And delete IconCache.db

Note: you muct have view hidden files on and "protected systems files" set to visable.

Log out/restart and bam, there ya go!!

Last edited:
MS Powertools TweakUI also has a one-click solution to fixing the image caches.

Omsion said:
MS Powertools TweakUI also has a one-click solution to fixing the image caches.
Yes, while that program makes it easy to fix it, it is also known to corrupt it too :beer:

The way I explained is the easiest, and as long as you delete the right file, you won't ever have problems.

When I used TweakUI, it worked well for awhile but then all of a sudden, I had Windows ME's icons!! I spent a few days looking around trying to fix it when I came across that solution. Problem solved :cool:

Back