• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory Advice - 4GB Kit or 2x2GB Kits

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

demlok

Hello, a friend recommended this place for decent computing advice. :D
I am in the process of creating a new system and have every part picked out except for one. Memory.

I was wondering if someone could throw me some feedback/knowledge on what memory to buy; I have my mind set on 4GB of RAM. I was going to see if I should get a 4GB kit or 2X2GB kit(s).

The thing is, the 4GB kits are only PC2 6400 and my main question is if getting 2x2GB kits that run at say PC2 8500 would be better? One thing to consider is that I will stay with 4GB for a while, and next time I buy memory I will probably get a new motherboard. Using the argument that 4GB kits are better because they allow an upgrade to say 8GB is out. :-/

I'm going to do some more reading/researching but thoughtful tips are helpful. :clap:

Thanks guys.

demlok said:
Hello, a friend recommended this place for decent computing advice. :D
I am in the process of creating a new system and have every part picked out except for one. Memory.

I was wondering if someone could throw me some feedback/knowledge on what memory to buy; I have my mind set on 4GB of RAM. I was going to see if I should get a 4GB kit or 2X2GB kit(s).

The thing is, the 4GB kits are only PC2 6400 and my main question is if getting 2x2GB kits that run at say PC2 8500 would be better? One thing to consider is that I will stay with 4GB for a while, and next time I buy memory I will probably get a new motherboard. Using the argument that 4GB kits are better because they allow an upgrade to say 8GB is out. :-/

I'm going to do some more reading/researching but thoughtful tips are helpful. :clap:

Thanks guys.
:welcome: to the forums!!!

If you are going to run it at stock, I'd go with the cheapest/fastest.

If you are going to overclock, I'd say get the 4gig kit because some motherboards have problems with 4 sticks RAM and overclocking...

thideras, thank you for the welcome. :D
As of right now I am only planning on OCing maybe around 10%-15% to learn more about what it takes, and to see what me and my system can do. I have an amazing tutor who will be assisting me on my research and over clocking. (He OCed his e6600 to 3.6Ghz)

I am building my first liquid cooled system, and I'm planning to attach a couple of fans on the ram. Thanks a lot budd :p

Last edited:
demlok said:
thideras, thank you for the welcome. :D
As of right now I only plan on OCing maybe around 10%-15% to learn more about what it takes, and to see what me and my system can do.

I am building my first liquid cooled system, and I'm planning to attach a couple of fans on the ram. Thanks a lot budd :p
That I would recommend the 4gig set, it may cost a little more now, but that is much better than finding down the road that you can't overclock because you have 4 sticks of RAM :p

And no problem! It is what we are here to do!! :bday:

Some motherboards Memorys get stressed from 4 sticks of ram and overclocking.

get the the 2x2

id go with 2x2 then later when you feel like some PWNAGE get another 2x2 :D

Alright so the 4GB kit is what you guys are recommending, ill probably end up purchasing a pair of those for now. Do you guys recommend a specific model/type? I have read/heard that the reaper sticks are great for OCing but they don't make a 4GB so that is out of the question....

what 2x2GB kit did you pick? what was your shortlist?

personally, so far I'm looking at these:
G.SKILL - 2 x 2GB 800MHz at 5-5-5-12 (F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ)
Patriot eXtreme - 2 x 2GB 800MHz at 5-5-5-12 (PDC24G6400ELK)

Same answer as the other thread mate... Crucial Ballistix 8500 all the way, $240 total.

Back