• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memtest windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chizzer

I have the dos version as well however no floppy drive to throw it on.. So I ran the windows version what's % without errors is considered "passed"?

Lol, I would be concerned if I had more than 0% errors.
I would run memtest from a Live Linux CD (Ubuntu) for troubleshooting and I've never encountered any errors.

Lol , I know 0% errors is better which is what I have thus far, what I am asking is what % @ 0 errors is considered solid?

They say Orthos or whatever it's called if you can pull off 9+ hours or more without issues then your setup is considered stable... what's the cut off point on Memtest that's says "hey great just your ram doesn't suck" lol

Thanks guys!

There is no really set answer to your question. I am not sure of the windows based version. I would also run the dos program from CD.

Chizzer said:
Lol , I know 0% errors is better which is what I have thus far, what I am asking is what % @ 0 errors is considered solid?

They say Orthos or whatever it's called if you can pull off 9+ hours or more without issues then your setup is considered stable... what's the cut off point on Memtest that's says "hey great just your ram doesn't suck" lol

Thanks guys!

Any errors can cause stability issues. Therefore I would say that anything over 0% is a fail.

The 9 hours orthos thing is just saying that if it goes that long without errors it will not fail even if you keep doing the benchmark for another 90hours, or rather that the probability is very small the the PC will crash.

Memory is different, a single error could cause a computer to crash.

HOWEVER! some memory modules are not tested correctly by memtest etc because of incorrect capacity readings etc. So just because it reads an error here or there does not make the PC unstable. A long sequence of errors almost certainly points to trouble though...

aja said:
Any errors can cause stability issues. Therefore I would say that anything over 0% is a fail.

The 9 hours orthos thing is just saying that if it goes that long without errors it will not fail even if you keep doing the benchmark for another 90hours, or rather that the probability is very small the the PC will crash.

Memory is different, a single error could cause a computer to crash.

HOWEVER! some memory modules are not tested correctly by memtest etc because of incorrect capacity readings etc. So just because it reads an error here or there does not make the PC unstable. A long sequence of errors almost certainly points to trouble though...

I understand the X number of errors means stability issues, that's not what I was asking it gives a "coverage %" when it's running through the test then if it does find errors it will tell you, I don't have a single error at all and I've test 1.5 gigs of free memory and it's went to like 2500% coverage and just keeps going...

No needs for further replies everyone uses the dos ones and doesn't seem to know this one lol.

Thanks guys!!!

yeah everyone uses the dos version, it's one of the main reasons why one would use memtest over any other memmory stability test. In the dos version you can error out without having to worry about the safety of your data on the hdd

I understand the X number of errors means stability issues, that's not what I was asking it gives a "coverage %" when it's running through the test then if it does find errors it will tell you, I don't have a single error at all and I've test 1.5 gigs of free memory and it's went to like 2500% coverage and just keeps going...

No needs for further replies everyone uses the dos ones and doesn't seem to know this one lol.

Thanks guys!!!

I use memtest and the windows tester, both on "the ultimate bootdisk"... There was one time that the windows tester found errors that memtest86 did not, so now I use both!

I let the windows one run for an hour, thats all, then I believe it is fine...

Well usually stability testing is done with orthos or prime because it's also more cpu intensive. And you would want it to run 8 hours or so. (24 hours would be best because the house has it's full thermal cycle then)

Memtest is a good indication for errors outside windows. You'd want to test it outside windows because too many errors could screw up your bootdisk. So if it's memtest 0 errors for 1 cycle you can safely run orthos in windows..

So if it's memtest 0 errors for 1 cycle you can safely run orthos in windows..

Hmm.. my ram when pushed abit passed it's maxed speed, passed 1st cyle but error at 2nd cycle on memtest at no.5 and it is repeatable ! :D

Yeah I know and if you loop #5 or loop #5 with 64mb segements it will start to error out faster. But all I'm saying is: if it passes memtest without errors you wont ruin your os immediately :)

Back