• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IP-35 Pro Fan Controller

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ThePredator

Hello,

I have an Abit IP-35 Pro motherboard. I recently got Delta 120x35mm 181 Cfm fans (2 of them) for my Ultra 120 Extreme heatsink. My problem is, no matter what I did, I can not change the fan speed using uGuru or any other software. I know some of you will say I am not supposed to connect those fans to motherboard, but they came with a 3 pin connector has ONLY the rpm controller cable (1 cable) on them. BIOS and uGuru reads the speed of the fans correctly, but like I said, no matter what I do, I can't change them.

Fans are too loud, and I need them to be loud but only when CPU is loaded. This is really important for me, I'd really appreciate it if anyone can help.

Yes I tried Speedfan :D

Regards,

ThePredator

Those 3 pins are -> Positive , Negative and RPM.

Although the RPM pins is connected to mobo, it is the "output" signal from the fan to the mobo so your mobo is reading the RPM correctly.

In order for the mobo to be able to control the fan rpm, you need to connect the Positive pin to the mobo header, since that is the "input" line from the mobo to the fan that is driving the fan speed and currently you don't have that connection, hence you can't control it. :D

Read the mobo manual, usually they provides the max current for those fan headers.

If that 2 Delta fans total current is higher than the mobo header's capability, its better to use a dedicated fan controller.

The fan is 25W and 1.92A, can you recommend any fan controller for this? The highest I could find was 1.5A and 20W thermaltake.

There's a sticky on how to build your own high-power fan controller in the Cooling sub-forum.

I think someone sells a rheostat for high-power fans, but you'll still have to do some modding to mount it. I don't know of a pre-built fan-controller that can handle that much juice.

You know what, this is some B.S. lol. I just removed those fans, and I put the original low quality 0.20A 120mm fan that came with the case (so bad cooling quality), I am checking the temperatures, with OC 3.2 Ghz (This is Q6600), idle I get 30C, load I get 47C. With Deltas, I used to get 30C idle, 46C load. It is so not worth to do all that for 1C.

There is a limit to what CFM can do. The efficiency of the HS and your mount comes into play at a certain point. You may notice more of an effect if you pump in more Vcore on the quest for a higher OC, though.

Some people like cool and quiet and others like super fast, hot, and loud. I'm in the middle somewhere, and really enjoy how quiet my new rig is compared to my old one w/ the 92mm Tornado. My new rig w/ all fans on high is quieter than my old rig w/ all fans on low!

You know what, this is some B.S. lol. I just removed those fans, and I put the original low quality 0.20A 120mm fan that came with the case (so bad cooling quality), I am checking the temperatures, with OC 3.2 Ghz (This is Q6600), idle I get 30C, load I get 47C. With Deltas, I used to get 30C idle, 46C load. It is so not worth to do all that for 1C.

Nope, its not. And for sure you would have burned out the mobo header if you tried to connect those fans to it.

I bet your ears thank you too for not using those fans. :p

Well, like jason4207 said, if you kick up the VCore and clocks, thats where the cfm will come into play. with a low clock like that, you don't need high powered deltas, you should be looking for something quiet. Try kicking that Q6600 up to 3.6 or 3.7 and run those deltas, I bet you'll see around the same temps whereas the stock fan would let the CPU overheat...

Back