• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-P35-DS3R strange boot problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CFster

Registered
Getting a weird problem when trying to setup a RAID 0 array on this board.

The system takes a long time to recognize the hard drives when the Intel RAID controller is activated. Then I can press CTRL-I and go into the configuration screen and create an array, but as soon as I reboot it does it again. My only solution was to ditch the RAID and just use a single boot drive (which works OK).

E6750 @stock speed
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
2GB Corsair XMS2 PC26400
EVGA 8800GTS
(2) Maxtor 6Y080M0 80GB SATA
(1) Lite-On SATA DVDRW

You did have the sata connectors hooked up to the orange headers on the mobo; right?
If so then maybe try and partition the HDs first, individually before attempting to enter the RAID utility. Also do you have all the BIOS options configured properly for RAID, and that would be the ICH9R at the top of the page on Integrated devices in your BIOS.

Also note I had the problem with my DS3R mobo, that the supplied ICH9R RAID drivers on the Gigabyte cd was bad, Intel's fault. Had to find updates from Intel.

Anyhow, just a few things to consider. Thought I'd post'ya since the other guys seem occupied elsewhere.....

Have a good'un,
Mike

Yeah, I did plug into the orange headers. I even tried swapping around to different ones. Doesn't matter if the drives are formatted or not, seems to happen either way. It seems to have something to do with how the Intel controller detects these particular drives (compatibility issue?). Eventually I ended up using the Gigabyte contoller with the purple headers and RAID0 is working fine. I understand it's supposed to be slower than the Intel controller, but I'll never know with these drives I guess. Still faster than no RAID.

Thanks for the reply.

Back