• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Final Question/Answer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hummelchen

Registered
Hi folks,

below my hardware I do have at my desk now:

- MoBo:
---GB P35-DS3P

- CPU:
==> I do have two CPUs on my desk now (Which CPU will be better for OC):
--- Intel E6420 CONFIDENTIAL (unlocked) or
--- Intel E6550 (regular version)

- CPU-Cooler:
--- Zalman CNPS 9700 LED or
--- Is there a better Cooler available which would be better for OC?

- RAM:
--- G.E.I.L. (GX22GB6400UDC) 2x 1GB DDR2-800, CL4 4-4-12

- VGA:
--- ASUS EN8800GTS/HTDP/320MB DDR3

Question:
Based on this hardware, could someone post me some BIOS-OC-settings, which will be stable, if possible?

BR + Thanks
Hummelchen

What are you aiming for?

The E6550, just set it to 400x8 for 3.2Ghz. I think it can do that on stock ;)

If not bump up the voltage one step by one step.

There's a lot of other things you can do also, but... check out some other guides for that stuff.

Overclocking is a lot of trial and error. Mostly error ;)

Good thing those chips don't die when we abuse them so much!

@ Hazaro:
So the E6550 (locked) ist better than the E6420 (unlocked)?

Hummelchen

@ Hazaro:
So the E6550 (locked) ist better than the E6420 (unlocked)?

Hummelchen

The e6550 has 6,7 multis, and the e6420 has 6,7,8 multis. You can always run either chip at a lower multi, but you can't get the e6550 to run at 8x. The extra multi can come in handy depending on your MoBo's abilities, but if your just looking for 3-3.2GHz either one will be fine. The e6550 is a newer revision, and will probably run cooler, so that is something to consider as well.

I'd get the e6750 if you can afford it...or the x3210 if you want to go quad. e6420 isn't a bad choice, though, so you really can't lose! :santa:

I think he means he has an Engineering Sample E6420 :p

I read right past that...I was thinking he wanted us to choose what to get.

I'd have fun w/ both of them! The ES may be a gem, though! Mind posting what multis you have available in the BIOS?

As far as BIOS settings...

Put the DRAM voltage and timings at whatever the manufacturer recommends, and make sure you're running 1:1. Once you go over 400FSB you will want to loosen those timings a bit.

Crank that FSB up to 400, and keep upping Vcore until you're stable as Hazaro suggested. Once you get up above 420-450 FSB you may have to up NB, FSB, and SB voltages to remain stable. You can drop your multi, and just try raising the FSB and increasing these 3 voltages until you find the max FSB you can achieve. Once you have this info you can start upping your multi and see what the CPU can do by raising Vcore as needed. Keep an eye on temps...keep them at least 10-15* below Tjunction-max.

You can get the ThermalTake Ultra-120-Extreme if you want the best air cooling solution.

If you run at 375x8 to get 3Ghz, and 333x9 toget 3Ghz

The 375 will run faster.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=512725

Now restart and overclock!

Doing that though creates much more stress on your motherboard and its north bridge. Since you are looking for a more middle speed, maybe it is okay. But I wouldn't recommend using this method when trying to achieve your top end speed of your chip.

Maybe if you stick a fan blowing on the NB it'll be okay, I dunno. Generally on these forums people will tell you to use the highest multiplier you can.

Generally on these forums people will tell you to use the highest multiplier you can.

To find the max of your chip. Drop the multi to find the max of your BUS and work up divide your ram to find the max of that.

The best setup is trying to balance the optimal speed of all 3 :)

Doing that though creates much more stress on your motherboard and its north bridge. Since you are looking for a more middle speed, maybe it is okay. But I wouldn't recommend using this method when trying to achieve your top end speed of your chip.

Maybe if you stick a fan blowing on the NB it'll be okay, I dunno. Generally on these forums people will tell you to use the highest multiplier you can.

It's a GigaByte P35, it can handle it ;)

Back