• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stock levels

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuperMiguel

Super User
since there is no stock on the AQX-HIFLO-G38-12 can i buy them pastic??? will it make any difference??

Last edited:
since there is no stock on the AQX-HIFLO-G38-12 can i buy them pastic??? will it make any difference??
Most bards are sold based on the OD...sellers usually don't spec the ID at all. But the ID is what's important to us! Generally, metal barbs have larger ID's size for size with "pastic" barbs.

If you think about it, the barb manufacturer has many type of customers that use their barbs in many applications, some of which require that the barb be able to withstand a lot of abuse. So the manufacturer makes the walls as thick as he thinks his customers will want them. We on the other hand, in the WC community, put relatively little stress on our barbs, so really thin walls (and larger IDs) are great for us. So you just have to hunt for those "magical" barbs that will flow a lot better than the standard, off-the-shelf variety. I've seen bins in hardware stores with mixed barbs from different manufacturers (all the same OD) with vastly different IDs. The sellers that cater to the WC community do the searching for you, you just have to find who has what when, instead of driving all over town, or ordering blindly from industrial supply houses. I've seen 3/4" OD x (1/2" thread) barbs that were more restrictive that 3/8" OD (1/2" thread) barbs.

Last edited:
Also note that some barbs look like they have a large ID like the DD perfect seal barbs but they have a very restrictive opening (1/4" for a 3/8" barb) that should be drilled out for more performance.

USPlastics carries high flow plastic barbs comparable in ID to the DD high flow barbs. I personally like the Polypropylene barbs best. They come with the very secure single ridge barb that's perfect for hose clamps.

Their nylon barbs are good as well and very strong but more expensive. If you have something that's threaded for 1/8" or 1/4" NPT they have Nylon barbs for 1/2" ID tubing (my video card block is for example).

Last edited:
Yes just like those ones but more opaque in color.

One thing I just noticed is that you need G3/8 barbs. The ones on profesional plastics are all NPT.

Back