• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Odd hd assignment on evga 680i

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drotto25

Just setup and installed windows xp pro on my new system, and found that it assigned my hd as drive f. I pluged it into the sata marked as 0 on the manual so though this was the highest. I have heard rumors the manual is off, so is it?

Also is there a painless way to make it drive c, I kow it really does not matter, but I am used to it that way.

What you need to do is make that hdd (whatever sata port it is on) the first bootable drive when you install windows. That should make it the c: drive.

To answer your second question, no. There are thousands of references in your registry that refer it to "f:". If you change it, your install will become unbootable. The easiest way is to reinstall.

Figured, and I know what messed it up I think. I had a 7 in 1 media drive installed on one of my usb headers. Windows install read this as c and d assigned the dvd rom as e, and the hd as f. Stupid windows.

I know leaving it as f: actually means nothing though. Just tradition I guess.

I know leaving it as f: actually means nothing though. Just tradition I guess.
I know exactly what you mean, if mine was that way, I would for sure re-install. It would drive me nuts! ;)

I did re-install, and yes the sata header on my evga are labeled wrong in the manual. I put the hd in the one marked 6 in the manual and bios showed it as 1. I pulled the usb header for my media drive, and did windows again. Main hd is once again happily c:.

Back