• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prebuilt Desktop or Build Another

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crash1

The last computer I built was Gigabyte MB GA-Z77X-UD5H with i7 2600K overclocked built in 2012 and still running great but parts are starting to have issues.

When I would purchase a MB you got a manual (these days pdf) but they we very in-depth. When setting up Raid you could look at the manual and see which SATA connectors went to the Intel Sata Controller (it would show the Marvel info as well).

In looking at the Z690 GAMING X DDR4 V2 (rev. 1.0) lt appears that you can only use SSDs for Raid? PLEASE tell me you can Raid with the SATA connectors.... The manual shows nothing about how to configure the Raid. I guess it's the same way, enter the bios and select raid then select the drives?

ALSO another question, If looking at a complete system (not sure if I want to learn what I need for everything to build a decent desktop (unless there is a resource where people list their components :)).

Why don't the prebuilt desktops tell you what motherboard is in that desktop?

Thanks for bear with me....I'll try to catch up!

Well, you can RAID the sata ports regardless if a hdd or ssd is attached. Do you mean raid on the m.2 sockets?

Also, at this point if youre going to use an ssd, especially a pcie/nvme m.2 drive, there's not much point to do so unless you regularly deal with large files.

We'll help you piece something together. 😉

Because the motherboards in many prebuilds are junk. It just depends where you buy the build from.

Prebuilt Desktop or Build Another

Build yourself a new one! ;)

I've noticed that within the same desktop model / product number (of prebuilts like HP, Dell, IBM etc)many different hardware sources typically are used, within the same range of specs.

The last computer I built was Gigabyte MB GA-Z77X-UD5H with i7 2600K overclocked built in 2012 and still running great but parts are starting to have issues.

When I would purchase a MB you got a manual (these days pdf) but they we very in-depth. When setting up Raid you could look at the manual and see which SATA connectors went to the Intel Sata Controller (it would show the Marvel info as well).

In looking at the Z690 GAMING X DDR4 V2 (rev. 1.0) lt appears that you can only use SSDs for Raid? PLEASE tell me you can Raid with the SATA connectors.... The manual shows nothing about how to configure the Raid. I guess it's the same way, enter the bios and select raid then select the drives?

ALSO another question, If looking at a complete system (not sure if I want to learn what I need for everything to build a decent desktop (unless there is a resource where people list their components :)).

Thanks for bear with me....I'll try to catch up!
Ok.....let's start....I have gone from Supermicro to Asus to Gigabyte so what is a good motherboard these days? I was thinking of Gigabyte seeing how this 10 year old one is still limping along....Geez now I've got to figure out slots chipsets and a good case not to mention processor and chipset.....

Please throw our any suggested combo's anyone has....gotta start somewhere so I can keep my $ in line.

Thanks to all for the help and replies!
Post magically merged:

Well, you can RAID the sata ports regardless if a hdd or ssd is attached. Do you mean raid on the m.2 sockets?

Also, at this point if youre going to use an ssd, especially a pcie/nvme m.2 drive, there's not much point to do so unless you regularly deal with large files.

We'll help you piece something together. 😉

Because the motherboards in many prebuilds are junk. It just depends where you buy the build from.
Thanks for talking some sense into me.....I knew this would be the best but I'm going to want some help and suggestions.....several months ago I gave up just looking at cases......I just need a good case with easy access but I just didn't like most I saw. Why are USB, headphone and power buttons at the top now?

Please any suggestions on MB, Case & Processor?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
for cases, if i were in the market for one, i'd be looking at variants of the mid-size Lian Li O11 (there's several, depending on if you want WC or Airflow versions) or full-size Phanteks Enthoo 719 or Enthoo Pro2. Those all have connectors on the front, and side compartments for the PSU's "behind" the motherboard.
My Main rig is a different story, the Phanteks Enthoo Elite isn't cheap, in any of sense of the word.

for cases, if i were in the market for one, i'd be looking at variants of the mid-size Lian Li O11 (there's several, depending on if you want WC or Airflow versions) or full-size Phanteks Enthoo 719 or Enthoo Pro2. Those all have connectors on the front, and side compartments for the PSU's "behind" the motherboard.
My Main rig is a different story, the Phanteks Enthoo Elite isn't cheap, in any of sense of the word.
Years ago while helping a friend who HAD to have water cooled ended bad and ever since I've always stayed with Air Cooled. In looking at the Lian Li O11 Amazoo didn't show any areas for HHDs.

So I'm looking for Air Cooled, Easy Access, Front power, USB and headphones preferably on the bottom (wifey doesn't like a lot of wires)

I like some of the ideas of the Phanteks Enthoo Pro TG PH-ES614PTG_BK BUT the hinged door does not look like that is where the HDDs are (I like the HDD slide out trays to be in the front) I also like at lease 2 front slots for DVD (yea I know) and for a media reader slot.

Please throw our any suggested combo's anyone has....gotta start somewhere so I can keep my $ in line.
How about this.... you tell us your budget, what parts you have and what parts you need. Also, the purpose of your build...

This way, we're aren't just shotgunning things amd spinning out wheels.

Motherboards are easy because so long as it has the features you need, there is little difference in most uses.

Last edited:
I would have to go with DDR5. You seem to keep your computers for a while so I'd go that way, plus DDR4 is dying out. I like the full towers It gives you lots of room and they look :cool:

That motherboard supports up to 4 M.2 SSDs. You don't even have to use hard drives if you don't want to. If you do have hard drives the manual says how to set up RAID for them.
Yes I have 2 12TB HDs....Like SSD for OS and one for Apps but for data....I still like HD reliability......old habits...been building PCs since the 80s....that's why I was trying to be lazy and buy a prebuilt....but thankfully you all set me straight! :cool:

So... what do you use your PC for? What's your budget for the parts? Happy to make some suggestions after we understand budget and uses.

I also believe that ssds are more reliable than hdds. Nothing mechanical to break... but when they go, it does tend to more abrupt. Nothing having a good personal backup policy wouldn't account for. :)

Last edited:
Ok.....let's start....I have gone from Supermicro to Asus to Gigabyte so what is a good motherboard these days?
My personal favorite brands are Gigabyte and ASrock, but I think the quality level is pretty equal, among the venders offering a given chipset. Customer service could be a deciding factor, I have no insight to offer in that regard.

One thought that I dont think many ponder- If you build your own with reputable parts, you get mostly 3 yr or better warranties on most parts. If you buy a mass produced computer- you get the standard 1 yr warranty. I would always choose to build

My first computer was purchased in the 80s and I've built them since then.....with exception of laptops...

I use my computer for surfing and research. But mostly for editing 4k video and rendering other videos and I don't like to wait for my computer to finish doing stuff.

for the case and insides (no monitor needed) I would like to keep my budget around $1500....Homeowners insurance, car and wind & hail all coming due within months.....ARG.....

Got my spread sheet started with each part and getting suggestions and once I have some questions I'll definitely bounce them off the pros here!

So... what do you use your PC for? What's your budget for the parts? Happy to make some suggestions after we understand budget and uses.

I also believe that ssds are more reliable than hdds. Nothing mechanical to break... but when they go, it does tend to more abrupt. Nothing having a good personal backup policy wouldn't account for. :)
Other than surfing I do edit/render 4k videos so power and memory are essential not to mention data storage speed.
Post magically merged:

I've looked throught many cases but I would prefer front power and usb connections plus a slot for an optical drive and media card reader.

But most importantly, I like pull out HD trays. My old case is pretty good but the built in USB/Sound & ESATA board is going....

Now we're getting somewhere!

Assuming you don't want to wait a couple of months after the new stuff releases.......here's what I would do if I was you with that budget.......

i9 12700K - $400
Gigabyte Arous ELite AX (really, most any motherboard will do.....) -$230
2x16GB DDR5 6000 CL30/32 RAM, (Patriot Viper RGB) - $245
EVGA Supernova G6 750W PSU - $90
= $965

So, for storage, I'm still confused. You currently have 2 12TB drives in RAID of some sort? Are you planning to use those in the new build? I think you said you want an SSD, one for the OS one for apps. That's possible, but perhaps it's better to buy a larger, fast 2TB M.2 module and simply partition it. That's how I work. THe first 300GB is for the OS, the rest is for other apps/games/storage. I assure you, the speed in these drives are going to laugh at RAID anything.

ADATA 2TB PCIe 4.0x4 - $219

That leaves you around $400 for a case and a video card. If you don't play games and your editing doesn't use the graphics card (does it? That's a big consideration in cost..............), you can use the integrated video on this CPU.

This system will smoke your current PC and dump the ashes before it even booted. I went with Intel for purchase right now because it's the only platform that has an upgrade path (you can drop in new Intel chips that come out later this year into Z690 boards). You can save some money and go DDR4, but, like was said earlier, you keep things forever so you should get the best regardless if it's only a couple/few percent difference.

Also another quick question.....I may have missed but are there such things a ESATA ports anymore? How are people doing external backup? USB?

Trust me I won't be asking about floppy drives next!:cool:

Now we're getting somewhere!

Assuming you don't want to wait a couple of months after the new stuff releases.......here's what I would do if I was you with that budget.......

i9 12700K - $400
Gigabyte Arous ELite AX (really, most any motherboard will do.....) -$230
2x16GB DDR5 6000 CL30/32 RAM, (Patriot Viper RGB) - $245
EVGA Supernova G6 750W PSU - $90
= $965

So, for storage, I'm still confused. You currently have 2 12TB drives in RAID of some sort? Are you planning to use those in the new build? I think you said you want an SSD, one for the OS one for apps. That's possible, but perhaps it's better to buy a larger, fast 2TB M.2 module and simply partition it. That's how I work. THe first 300GB is for the OS, the rest is for other apps/games/storage. I assure you, the speed in these drives are going to laugh at RAID anything.

ADATA 2TB PCIe 4.0x4 - $219

That leaves you around $400 for a case and a video card. If you don't play games and your editing doesn't use the graphics card (does it? That's a big consideration in cost..............), you can use the integrated video on this CPU.

This system will smoke your current PC and dump the ashes before it even booted. I went with Intel for purchase right now because it's the only platform that has an upgrade path (you can drop in new Intel chips that come out later this year into Z690 boards). You can save some money and go DDR4, but, like was said earlier, you keep things forever so you should get the best regardless if it's only a couple/few percent difference.
The 12TB is Raid 1 because they are drone and home videos, pictures and personal data.....just some redundancy in-between backups.

Years ago is was practice to have OS on one drive and apps on another but I guess as you are saying with SSD that is no longer an issue so your suggestion of one larger SSD will work.

and getting back to the ESATA I guess USB3 speeds are pretty much comparable if so then USB3 would be fine for backup.

At my age.....you can "horde" a lot of data throughout the years including family pictures and videos.

I'm still having problems with cases also....still like the bottom front connectors/pwr and room for an optical....I am moving a lot of movies from DVD to my NAS so I guess I can do away with that....

Thank you for answering the questions asked. We ask them to help get you the best answers possible. :)

Right... spinners work with a mechanically moving arm to read the sectors on the platter... this takes time. SSDs have no moving parts so they can read off the NAND much faster than a HDD. There wasn't much of a need to partition OS and Apps back then....there's absolutely no need to do it now (for speed purposes).

eSATA ports are gone, indeed. Backups, for what feels like a decade now, are through USB ports. Some boards have up to 20 Gbps (USB 3.2 Gen2x2) ports or even Thunderbolt 4 (40 Gbps) ports.... which is overkill for spinners. In short, yes, USB 3.2 Gen1 (5 Gbps) is plenty for simple backups.

It has been several years since I had an optical on any system, honestly. Why not get an external DVD? This way you aren't limited to cases with a 5 1/4 bay. If you can do that, it opens up more (modern) options. To that end, I love my Hyte 60. Once burning things to the NAS, you can put the external away until you need it again.

Back