• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prebuilt Desktop or Build Another

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Guess as far as a case.....it will have to be without a DVD (I do have an external DVD and many DVDs that I'm still moving to HD...problem is some DVDs have issues and sometimes work better in one than the other but the internal can be run off a USB a hard drive reader). It reminds me of the day when I had to say goodbye to my floppy drives :oops::ROFLMAO:......still have a copy of DOS.....really showing my age.....now I have to put Knoppix on USB too!
Hyte 60....I used to have an 8 bay Supermicro case that sounded like a jet when you first fired it up.....6 fans removed from old power supplies.

Ok.....gonna do more research (wifey on vacation this week and it's definitely interfering with my component searching:cautious::rolleyes:
Post magically merged:

Now we're getting somewhere!

Assuming you don't want to wait a couple of months after the new stuff releases.......here's what I would do if I was you with that budget.......

i9 12700K - $400
Gigabyte Arous ELite AX (really, most any motherboard will do.....) -$230
2x16GB DDR5 6000 CL30/32 RAM, (Patriot Viper RGB) - $245
EVGA Supernova G6 750W PSU - $90
= $965

So, for storage, I'm still confused. You currently have 2 12TB drives in RAID of some sort? Are you planning to use those in the new build? I think you said you want an SSD, one for the OS one for apps. That's possible, but perhaps it's better to buy a larger, fast 2TB M.2 module and simply partition it. That's how I work. THe first 300GB is for the OS, the rest is for other apps/games/storage. I assure you, the speed in these drives are going to laugh at RAID anything.

ADATA 2TB PCIe 4.0x4 - $219

That leaves you around $400 for a case and a video card. If you don't play games and your editing doesn't use the graphics card (does it? That's a big consideration in cost..............), you can use the integrated video on this CPU.

This system will smoke your current PC and dump the ashes before it even booted. I went with Intel for purchase right now because it's the only platform that has an upgrade path (you can drop in new Intel chips that come out later this year into Z690 boards). You can save some money and go DDR4, but, like was said earlier, you keep things forever so you should get the best regardless if it's only a couple/few percent difference.
So for SSD you suggest ADATA? Do you feel like they are the most reliable?

Thanks again for all of the help!

Reliabity between is a couple of % difference. Adata is fine. Good price to performance ratio compared to most others.
Another motive to get this build going is the "chip" issues.....(damn world gone crazy and I'm gonna have a new PC before I see the big fireball).

What parts are getting hard to get....seemed like someone said DDR5s are hard to find? Also can only read/reply this week in early AM since wifey on vacation and she's got the whip out:sneaky:....need a rainy day!
;)
Post magically merged:

Oh.....forgot to ask
Another motive to get this build going is the "chip" issues.....(damn world gone crazy and I'm gonna have a new PC before I see the big fireball).

What parts are getting hard to get....seemed like someone said DDR5s are hard to find? Also can only read/reply this week in early AM since wifey on vacation and she's got the whip out:sneaky:....need a rainy day!
;)
Oh forgot to ask....you mentioned "Gigabyte Arous ELite AX" with what chipset Z690? Is that the best/most reliable at this time?

Thanks again to everyone's suggestions!!!

Last edited:
You'll have no issues getting the parts you need now. DDR5 is expensive, but if you look around, it's there.

Z690, yes... it's the only chipset that works with those Intel 12000 series chips (for the moment) I suggested above. Again, just about any Z690 board will be fine for your uses. Since you aren't overclocking, you can even move to a B660-based motherboard (does not allow CPU overclocking, but does for RAM).

Please don't forget to add the information here you posted in that random old thread. :)

Last edited:
Sounds great and I do and have always been overclocking. Not crazy overclocking like putting my pc in a freezer to keep it cool :cool:

I'm just looking to be able to bump up the bus speed or however it's done these days.....I'm happy with a little boost!

Wifey still on vacation so I can't put much time to this now but next week....I'll be full of questions!

Thanks for all of your help and everyone esle too!

Reliabity between is a couple of % difference. Adata is fine. Good price to performance ratio compared to most others.
OH Geeezzz....SSDs have come a long way....which is the best, NVMe?

Don't laugh too hard on this question.....when it says NVMe PCIe 4.0 x4 M.2....does that mean I can have 4 NVMe & 4 M.2 or just a total of 4?

I would like to do some OC but I don't want water cooled and most of the cases that have been suggested are for water cooling....anyone got any suggestions on cases for air cooling which hopefully have several SATA HD cages with quick release trays?

I really do appreciate your help!

So NVMe PCIe 4.0 x4 M.2... there's a lot to unpack there, lol.

PCIe 4.0 x4 is the bandwidth needed to run the device at the rated speeds and how it connects/gets that bandwidth (through PCIe lanes). There are older PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe drives too. They are, generally, slower than the newer PCIe 4.0 x4 NVMe drives. But slow is relative here. If you're using spinners and SATA SSDs, these are a ton faster........ ON PAPER. The 'feel' part of it isn't much. Some games load faster, some don't... things are just overall snappier, but don't expect a 10 fold increase in feel.

M.2 = the form factor for the SSD. M.2 looks like a stick of gum and (storage) ranges from 60-110mm. THere are wi-fi adapters that plug into similar sockets but are keyed different (key-e vs key-m for storage).

NVMe is the protocol the M.2 SSD runs on and is faster than the other, SATA. There are SATA M.2 modules but they are limited to the SATA3 6 Gbps limits (about 550MB R/W /s) and are a lot cheaper, whereas the NVMe drives, the fastest are pushing 8,000 MB R/W /s and are expensive /GB.

Hope that helps.

Guess as far as a case.....it will have to be without a DVD (I do have an external DVD and many DVDs that I'm still moving to HD...problem is some DVDs have issues and sometimes work better in one than the other but the internal can be run off a USB a hard drive reader). It reminds me of the day when I had to say goodbye to my floppy drives :oops::ROFLMAO:......still have a copy of DOS.....really showing my age.....now I have to put Knoppix on USB too!
Hyte 60....I used to have an 8 bay Supermicro case that sounded like a jet when you first fired it up.....6 fans removed from old power supplies.

Ok.....gonna do more research (wifey on vacation this week and it's definitely interfering with my component searching:cautious::rolleyes:
Post magically merged:

So for SSD you suggest ADATA? Do you feel like they are the most reliable?

Thanks again for all of the help!
You mentioned i9-12700k, did you mean i7-12700k? Why not the i7-12700kf? I know that's unlocked and I'm gonna have a learning curve with a little OC....how easy to OC is the KF? And you were suggesting LGA 1700 correct?

So NVMe PCIe 4.0 x4 M.2... there's a lot to unpack there, lol.

PCIe 4.0 x4 is the bandwidth needed to run the device at the rated speeds and how it connects/gets that bandwidth (through PCIe lanes). There are older PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe drives too. They are, generally, slower than the newer PCIe 4.0 x4 NVMe drives. But slow is relative here. If you're using spinners and SATA SSDs, these are a ton faster........ ON PAPER. The 'feel' part of it isn't much. Some games load faster, some don't... things are just overall snappier, but don't expect a 10 fold increase in feel.

M.2 = the form factor for the SSD. M.2 looks like a stick of gum and (storage) ranges from 60-110mm. THere are wi-fi adapters that plug into similar sockets but are keyed different (key-e vs key-m for storage).

NVMe is the protocol the M.2 SSD runs on and is faster than the other, SATA. There are SATA M.2 modules but they are limited to the SATA3 6 Gbps limits (about 550MB R/W /s) and are a lot cheaper, whereas the NVMe drives, the fastest are pushing 8,000 MB R/W /s and are expensive /GB.

Hope that helps.
To make sure I have this correct, NVMe uses M.2 slots and this means it will support 4 NVMe correct?
Post magically merged:

You mentioned i9-12700k, did you mean i7-12700k? Why not the i7-12700kf? I know that's unlocked and I'm gonna have a learning curve with a little OC....how easy to OC is the KF? And you were suggesting LGA 1700 correct?
Crap....just realized KF has no onboard video so if I go with K then that means I wouldn't be able to OC?

To make sure I have this correct, NVMe uses M.2 slots and this means it will support 4 NVMe correct?
NVMe drives use the m.2 socket, yes. So do SATA based m.2 drives. Nothing has anything to do with count/number of m.2 it supports.

Yes, the 12000 series is lga1700.

Correct, KF does not have integrated video....the K does and is still unlocked for overclocking. But aren't you getting a video card?? Does it matter if your cpu doesn't have onboard graphics? Do you understand how that's used??

Also, are you going to add the information you put in that random thread about the apps you use/how you use your PC, here??

Last edited:
Yes I will probably get another video card since my old NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3. I want to try it out first and maybe stick with that for a while until my bank account catches up after all the other parts....

Any yes, I've gotten to where I like the onboard video in the event of issues....can't remember the exact problem but it was either a bios update or OC problem that resulted in a black screen only to find out the add on video card was not displaying.....can't remember the exact problem but the onboard video helped me resolve the issue....

I'm starting to get my list together and will be back with more questions!

Thanks!!

Back